10 - Never Have I Ever... - pt. 1

Chapter Five

I walk next to Charli as we step out of the metro station

I tried to pay a attention to lines we'd taken but I was distracted. Excited. Where was Charli taking me? What did she have in store for us? There was no doubt in my mind it would be fun. Maybe even a little terrifying. The spark I'd seen in her eyes. The pull that was drawing me in. I know what it was. It's the same glint in Ari's eyes before she'd thrown herself off the cliff. It's risk, danger, trouble.

"This adventure you're taking me on, it's in the historic district? Aren't there just like old buildings and stuff?"

She smiles. "Yeah and stuff."

I squint my eyes at her.

"Okay, but it doesn't sound better than a yacht."

"Yee have little faith. Trust."

"Okay," I'm unconvinced. "If you say so."

"Bet," She says.

The ways she speaks sometimes.

"Are you sure you're not from America?" I ask again.

"Nope. Why would I lie to you?" She says.

I eye her suspiciously. "Why wouldn't you?"

Charli turns to look at me. "Wow, who hurt you. You have some serious trust issues."

Her question is rhetorical, but I shrug my shoulders and look at my feet. I guess I do. I hadn't before...him.

"I promise I'm not a drug dealer, KGB, and I'm not American. Anything else you want to accuse me of?"

When she puts it in those words; I do sound crazy.

"Leprechaun, munchkin, Santa's elf?" I suggest.

I look over at her and smile. It's fair game, she'd called me a giant.

She opens her mouth in surprise and then bursts into laughter. When she finishes her chortling, she stares at me for a long time. It's a bit uncomfortable as if there is food lodge in my teeth.

"What?" I ask.

She says very seriously. "First time I've seen your smile. It's nice."

I honestly don't know what to say. I remain silent.

"Okay, we're here." She says.

I look around at our surroundings and stare up at the large cathedral.

I frown, "Your great adventure is a church?"

"I didn't say anything about it being great just better than a boat."

I look at the old majestic structure. Starting at the heavy door and pulling my head all the way back to stare up at the spire. A single brick of this building is older than my country.