13 - Et Tu, Brute? - pt. 2

Chapter Six Continued

I have too much pride to go home

I have too much pride to go home...and I'm most definitely afraid of my mother.

Instead, I go through the motions. On Wednesday, I wake up, go to class, got to work, come home to an empty apartment. On Thursday, you guessed it, I wake up, go to class, go to work, come home to an empty apartment.

It's now Friday and the beginning of the worst three days of my life. I can feel it. There'd only been one class. The school and most of the building is closing for the weekend. It means no work to keep me preoccupied this evening. It's time to leave. I'll be alone all weekend.

"Are you alright?"

I stop staring at my shoes to look up at Hannah.

"Yes, why do you ask?" I say.

"You've been a zombie for the last few days."

"I'm good."

"Okay." She eyes me, then nods and starts to walk away.

Then I'm struck with brilliance. She is my friend I can hang with her.

"Do you have plans tonight? Je voudrais aller...à le...boîte." (I would like to go to the box)

My French is improving.

"La boîte," (The club) She corrects.

Sort of improving.

"Erm...it would be quite fun. However, my fiancé and I are spending the weekend together."

She sees my disappointment and smiles. "Another time, yeah?"

"Right, another time."

She waves goodbye.

There goes my brilliant plan. I shuffle my feet as I walk, an attempt to prolong the inevitable. Once I stepped out of this building I'd be alone again. Then I see Charli walking past me in a hurry.

I'd had fun with her.

"How are you today?" I call to her.

She keeps walking. I jog to catch up to her.

"Charli," I say again. "How are you today?"

She stops and looks around.

"Are you talking to me?" She asks.

I smile at her. "Yeah, who else would I be talking to?"

She shrugs her shoulders. "I don't know. You haven't spoken to me in three days, I figured you couldn't possibly be talking to me."

Oh, oops. I don't miss the attitude laced in her words and the scowl on her face. I hadn't intentionally ignored her. I'd meant to talk to her, but it had slipped my mind. My mind had been elsewhere. Preoccupied. Mostly with trying not to think about a certain someone away with a certain...Uck! I shove the thoughts away.