22 - There's No "i" in Denial - pt. 3

Chapter Nine continued

"Charli..." I look up at her from the floor. "That's not what...I didn't mean to say..."

She is up and pulling on her pants. Then she frantically collects her clothes and shoes from my floor and bed. She is planning on leaving.

I stand up and grab my pants.

"Where are you going? Stay, we'll keep going."

She huffs, then turns and shoots daggers at me with her eyes. She shakes her head and continues to grab up her things.

Putting clothes on in rush is always hard. I struggle to slide my legs into my pants and almost fall over. Charli doesn't bother with getting dressed but is half-naked carrying all her things in her arms. She has already flung open my door and is stepping out into the apartment. I finally get my pants up. I search the floor for my shoes and shirt. The front door opens and slams shut.

She's already gone.

Screw it. I snatch any shirt from my dresser. I hold it to my chest as I dash out of my room after her. Ari is standing in the kitchen with a puzzled expression on her face. I jump over her bags, she'd sprawled all over the floor, and throw open the front door. I don't bother shutting it behind me but focus on pulling my shirt over my head as I run down the hallway.

"Charli, wait!"

She's already halfway down the flight of stairs. I sprint down them taking two and three at time. By the time I'm halfway down, she is already at the bottom. She is fully dressed and sliding her feet into her shoes. I reach the bottom floor as she hits the sidewalk. I run outside and chase after her.

The sun is up. For some reason, I feel like it should be dark outside. She isn't running but walking swiftly with her head down. I catch up to her and grab hold of her arm.

"Charli, stop!"

"Why!" She yanks her arm out of my hands. "Your girlfriend is home, so why do you need me?!"