07 - Je ne comprends pas... - pt. 4

Chapter Three continued

I rush outside closely on Ari's heels

The moon hangs heavy and full in the sky. I could see the very tip of the Eiffel tower behind a skyline of Parisian buildings. The streets are made of unevenly laid cobblestone and to our right, the Seine quietly burbles and flows under an old stone bridge.

Apollo had taken us to the historic district in the center of Paris, ile de la cite. An old and majestic part of town but it would take close to an hour to get back home by foot and metro.

Thankfully, Ari isn't running but only walking briskly. Her arms are crossed in front of her chest. The clack of her heels on the stone pavement are filled with determination. I follow closely behind her. I'm aware it's better if I try to give her time and room to cool off in silence. I said try. After only ten minutes her furious silence is driving me crazy. I speed up my pace to walk beside her.

"Ari," I say.

She ignores me.

"What I did back there was uncalled for," I say.

Still no response. Defeated I stop trying to keep up with her but stand in place and shout at her retreating back.

"Aurora, I'm sorry!"

She halts her steps then whips around to face me.

"What is it you want from me?" She asks.

I'm momentarily dumbfounded. I'd asked her the exact same thing not too long ago. Ari told me, she'd wanted me to believe her and to love her. In my anger, I'd chosen to ignore her words. 

I know exactly what I want from her because it's the same she'd wanted. It's what I'd wanted to talk to her about all night. Events aren't unfolding the way I'd played it in my head. I'm starting to realize it never does. I needed to take the leap. I couldn't keep passing up openings for a better opportunity.

"I want you," I say.

She stares at me.

In the moonlight, she is even more mesmerizing. The beams of moonlight reflect off her raven hair and illuminate her grey eyes. It's eerily quiet with only the sound of the river's current filling the crisp air.