12 - Et Tu, Brute? - pt.1

Chapter Six

Chapter Six

I shouldn't be feeling this much pain and yet have nothing physically wrong with me

I'd already had an idea what Ari and Apollo were doing together. But watching it, seeing it with my own eyes, is a blade to the heart. I'm sure there is a dagger lodged deep between my shoulder blades. I have an urge to look around in search for the villain who'd stabbed me. But the only betrayal is right in front of me.

They're kissing and embracing in the dark. I'm not overreacting. It's the way they're kissing. Her legs are wrapped around his waist and he is carrying her. Apollo breaks the kiss by spinning her around and setting her on the steps. They're both smiling and laughing.

It had only been two days.

This is far worse than my kiss with Charli. I'd felt guilty and upset. She looks...happy with him.

I pivot on my heels and head in the opposite direction. I want to be anywhere but here. I cannot go back to that apartment with her. I would go anywhere. I'd sleep at the FIAP, I'd sleep on the metro, I'd not sleep at all.

"Bonsoir Belle?" A voice calls from behind me.

It's deep and full of bass. Apollo's voice and it's filled with joy. Slurred possibly from a night of drinking. I keep walking. There is no reason for me to stop.

"Isabella, where are you going?" It's Ari's voice this time.

She sounds as cheerful as him. I'm dying inside and she is happy. Her footsteps approach fast behind me. She is running, I can't outrun her on a good day.

I have no choice but to turn around. I give her a fake smile. I'm choosing to smile because I don't want her to see how much pain I'm in. I want to at least keep some of my pride.

"Hey," I say.

She smiles at me. "Where are you going, Chica?"

Her eyes are too bright. Excited. Is she drunk?

"Did I pass the apartment?" I ask.

I pretend to look around like I don't know where I am.

"Yeah, it's right here."