11 - Never Have I Ever... -pt.2

Chapter Five continued

Charli turns to look at me

"What?" She asks.

"Nothing." I clear my throat and look out the window. It's almost sunset. The sky is growing warmer and hitting the top of the old buildings.

Pop!

I turn to the noise. She has an open bottle of wine in her lap and black pocketknife in her hand.

"Where did you get that?" I ask.

"The pocketknife? I always keep one with me."

"No that." I point to the open wine bottle.

"The wine cellar." She says.

She shakes the bottle mischievously and brings it to her lips. She gulps down the deep red liquid.

I scoot towards the ladder.

"Wait, where are you going?" She asks.

"What is wrong with you?"

I carefully step on to the first ladder. It creaks underneath my weight. She is more trouble then I'd bargained for.

"Wait, wait. It's not sacramental or anything. They haven't even blessed it yet."

I stop my descent to shoot her a disapproving glare.

"That's not the point Charli you can't steal from a church," I say.

"You said you weren't religious?"

"No, but churches do a lot of good for the community." I shake my head at her. "And whether you believe in it or not you can't just..."

"Okay, okay. I'll pay for it, alright."

"No, you need to return it." I glare at her.

"I can't return it." She whines and looks down at the bottle. "I already opened it and drank from it."

I groan and take another step down the ladder.

"Wait, wait look." She reaches into the envelope in her pocket and pulls out one hundred euros. "I'll put it in the donation box before we leave."