18 - Charming Charli - pt.2

Chapter Eight Continued...

I'm outside leaning against the corner of a brick building trying to be inconspicuous as possible

I'm outside leaning against the corner of a brick building trying to be inconspicuous as possible. It's funny because I am anything but inconspicuous.

I'd dressed for our date tonight, not to try to blend in. I'm wearing a white sundress with spaghetti straps. Which isn't weird except I'm also wearing a pair of browns knee-high boots in the summer. It's the only shoes I'd brought that would work with my outfit and is capable of hiding my bandaged foot.

Not too bad, right? Except I'm also wearing a long scarf wrapped around my neck to hide Charli's love bites. And I'm not done yet. I'm also wearing a baseball hat and sunglasses to disguise my identity, as Charli had put it. I think she is just messing with me.

Either way, It's a look.

"Anyone coming?" Charli says from under a car.

She'd already asked me several times already. And each time I'd reassured her.

"No, you're in the clear."

She's putting surveillance in some poor soul's car. Another businessman at the look of him. An older gentleman too, he looked like someone's dad. From what I could tell, people getting divorces were nuttier than a squirrel turd in December.

His wife had paid Charli's company to add a tracker and camera to his vehicle. It should be illegal except they're still married, and the car is under his wife's name. What's yours is mine and all that jazz. It's twisted. Why did ex-lovers have to be so cruel to one another? Why couldn't they just be friends?

Charli climbs from under the car. Then she unlocks it with the spare keys her client gave her. She looks at me before getting in.

"Almost done. Just need to set up the camera."

She sits down in the passenger seat. Then she freezes and touches the Bluetooth in her ear. She's answering a phone call.

"Oui...Okay."

She hangs up the call.

"Damn it. The bartender says we are out of time. The fucker drank his free beer and is leaving."

It's against the law for her to work on his private property and place of business. There were so many legalities no one ever mentioned in the movies. But a coupon for a free craft beer was all it took for her guy to show up to a neutral location. She'd been hoping he'd stay for at least another, but it seems he's cheap.

She surveys the surveillance gear in her lap.

"I could leave or..." She drags out her words. "You can distract him."

"What?" I step away from the building. "Are you nuts?"

"The hard part is done. I only need five minutes...ten minutes tops." She smiles at me. "It'll be easy. Buy him a drink. He won't say no."