16 - Blood, Sedatives, and Tears - pt.2

Chapter Seven Continued

Ari's fingertips are on my lips

Her room is not as dark as mine. Moonlight is streaming through her window giving her body a dark silhouette. It takes a moment for my eyes to adjust but she is staring at my face.

I must have fallen asleep for second because she is no longer under the sheets but on top of them. She has turned herself around in my arms. My heart feels like it's been jump-started again. I'm alert but now for a different reason.

She is running her finger down my jaw and over my forehead then down to my lips. Her touch is sending little tingles across my skin. Ari pulls her eyes from my mouth and looks me in the eyes.

"Kiss me," She says.

What is she doing? Her actions before I understood, I knew what to do. This is new to me; different. I search her face. I lean over and kiss her on the forehead. I let my lips linger longer than I should, before pulling away.

When I pull back her eyes are closed. I lay my head back down on her pillow. She opens her eyes.

"Kiss me on the lips."

"No."

Her brows crinkle together in the middle of her forehead. She hadn't expected me to say no. I'd done everything else she'd told me.

"Why not?" She asks.

There are a few reasons. Either of which I couldn't tell her at this moment without hurting her feelings. I'd just found her on the floor covered in her own blood. I can't tell her she scared the ever-loving bejesus out of me. I'm shaken and afraid.

The other reason is friends don't kiss friends on the lips. I'd already made up my mind before this incident, now it's cemented in stone. This in-between thing we were doing isn't working. We are both hurting each other. I'd been so blinded my own heartache, I hadn't seen the signs. And worse I'd been a trigger. She needed a friend and this time I wouldn't let her down.

I meet her question with silence.

Ari is staring at my neck. She reaches out and softly touches my skin. She runs her finger in a circle pattern and then she presses down slightly.