20 - There's No "i" in Denial - pt. 1

Chapter Nine

It's Friday.

Aurora said she'd be back in a week. She left on a Saturday but last time she'd come home early. Would she back today or tomorrow? It doesn't matter. I'm not waiting for her or anything. Though it would be nice to know she is alright. She hadn't tried to call me or text me or DM me. Nothing. So, I want to know when she's coming back. I don't want any more surprises. That's all.

Honest.

"Are we still on for today?"

I look up from the cafeteria floor. I've been sweeping the same pile of crumbs for the last ten minutes. Charli's hands are on her hips. She is watching me move said pile back and forward along the linoleum. How long had she been standing there?

I smile at her.

"Of course, why wouldn't we be?"

I bend down and sweep the pile into the dustpan and walk over to the trash bin. She follows closely behind me.

"Because she might be coming back today?"

I empty the crumbs in the bin. I'm done for the day. It had been another short day. They'd asked me to sweep up before I left.

"So," I say and shrug. "I haven't thought much about it."

I survey the floor again to make sure I got everything.

Charli narrows her eyes at me.

"Right."

I wasn't lying, not really. I didn't say I hadn't thought about it. I said I hadn't thought about it much.

"Why do you still have this job anyway?" She asks. "Don't you have more than enough money to pay for your lessons?"

It's true, I do. Thanks to Charli. In the last week, I'd helped her with a couple of jobs. Helping her blend in, following people, and helping her distract when she needed more time. I protested but she insisted on paying me a few euros here and there.

She is always trying to give me money. Last time she tried, I refused. She'd given me a gift instead; a dress from designer out of Moscow. I prefer the dress to money. It feels weird taking money from her when we were...what's the word ...I'm looking for? Hooking up?

"Yes, but I made a commitment. I'm not going to quit because I don't need it anymore."

"Right," She says.

I frown at her. I know why she thinks I'm keeping the job, but she is wrong. It has nothing to do with the fact that Aurora had gotten it for me. I keep my word. I'd said I'd do it and I'm going to do it.

I motion towards the broom and dustpan.

"I'll put this up and we can head out."

"Okay," She sighs.