1. september 2003

Alexander Turner was sixteen years old when he saw Luna Temple for the first time. He always wondered how he hadn't known she had existed after living in the same proximity as her his whole life.

It was a cloudy day in High Green when Alex left his house for his first day at Barnsley college. His mum handed him his lunch and ruffled his hair. A routine they had created on his first day of pre-school.

"Have a great day." She smiled. Alex went to reply but then someone yelled from the next house.

"Alex! We're late." His best mate/neighbour, Matt yelled. Alex's mum looked over and waved at Matt, whom she had known since he was five.

"Morning Matthew." She called over as Alex put his lunch into his bag.

"Morning Mrs Turner." He waved, running down his own front steps and standing by the wall they share.

"Love you, mum. Bye." He kissed her cheek and ran down his stairs towards Matt. Matt patted him on the back and they started walking to the bus stop together.

"This year is gonna be mental." Matt was too excited about being in college. Alex was terrified but he was glad he had Matt to get him through the next two years.

"Hmm. Yeah." He pulled at the strap of his backpack and shoved his hands into his jean pockets.

They made their way to the bus stop where a bunch of other kids were and there she was. Alex didn't take notice of her at first, he was too stressed out and scared of what he was about to encounter.

"I heard there's a party this weekend at this guy, Brian's house. He lives in high green." Matt said as Alex slipped into the seat by the window.

He went to reply then he saw her. As Matt was talking about what they could say to their mums to let them go, he watched as she got on the bus. Her hood was pulled up but you could still see her platinum blonde hair that shone from within the hood.

She walked down the middle of the bus with her headphones in. Her slim body was masked in an oversized t shirt of a band he had never heard of, it looked as if she was wearing a tight black skirt with tights underneath but it was unclear under the large mens leather jacket that she had thrown over it. She made brief eye contact with Alex before sitting in a seat two rows in front of him.

"Do you think everyone will be there?" He asked Matt without pulling his eyes from her.

"Yeah. It's supposed to be the big start of school party" he said as if it were obvious.

"Who's telling you these things?" Alex laughed at Matt's newfound knowledge of this college they were going to.

"My mate Andy." Alex's head snapped to him. The bus stopped abruptly.

"Since when did you have other friends?" He asked, Matt just laughed but his face fell when he saw who got on the bus. "That's Brian." He whispered.

Alex looked to the front of the bus and saw a tall broad guy who looked like he wanted to murder everyone. Of course, he sat next to the girl and kissed her. She seemed disinterested as he tried to talk to her, even going as far as pulling out her earbud and saying something in her ear. They watched as she giggled and hit him playfully.

They arrived at the college not long after baby hulk got on the bus. Alex pushed his swoopy fringe out of his eyes and followed Matt into the school.

"I'll go see if we're in the same form." Matt said, running over to the table where everyone had gathered. Alex stood awkwardly for a moment, looking at all his new schoolmates.