19. wednesday, december 2003

Disclaimer- I know nick wasn't in the band, I realise Andy was the bassist I know I know but I can't be bothered to have that as a sub plot and I prefer Nick so there also I know that someone else sang before Alex that I can't remember the name of but once again I prefer Nick and that's who we're going with.

Enjoy x

————————————————————

"I'll sing." Nick offered.

Jamie, Alex, Matt and Nick were all stood in Matt's garage with their instruments. Alex only had an acoustic guitar so far but he hoped he could get an electric one for his birthday the following week.

Joanna was sat on the sofa with Kate, they were chatting and watching the boys fumble with their instruments to try and sound somewhat put together.

"Are you sure you can sing, Nick?" Jamie asked. They all sniggered as Nick was clearly offended.

"Alex can sing." Matt pointed out. They all looked at him and he went deep red.

"Not well though. Nick's probably better." He instantly declined. Matt rolled his eyes, knowing Alex could sing. Nick looked well up for it.

"Try Al." Matt begged. He stood awkwardly with his acoustic hanging against his body. Alex's silence was taken as an agreement and the boys started to play around.

"What song shall we start with?" Jamie asked. "What songs do you know Alex?" Nick picked up his bass and took that as a firm no for his voice.

"Do you know any strokes?" Nick asked. Alex's mouth opened slightly but he nodded. He wished Luna were here, she would be proud that he had learned the song.

"I know Last Nite." He answered. They all nodded and Matt started to tap his sticks together to get the rhythm.

They all played it how they knew it, attempting to stay in time with each other but they were all playing it at different speeds.

"Lads, listen to each other." Alex yelled over the noise. "Stay in time." He instructed, taking control.

"Sing it dickhead" Matt yelled back. Alex walked up to the microphone they had balanced nicely on a broken mic stand and cleared his throat.

"Last night, she said
"Oh, baby, I feel so down
Oh, it turns me off
When I feel left out"
So I, I turned 'round
Oh, baby, don't care no more
I know this for sure
I'm walking out that door" he sang with his eyes closed.

Well, I've been in town for just about fifteen-oh minutes now
And baby, I feel so down
And I don't know why
I keep walking for miles

He opened his eyes as the rhythm changed to check everyone knew but everyone knew what to do. Matt kept the tempo as they all continued playing. He closed his eyes again and kept singing.

"And say, people, they don't understand
Your girlfriends, they can't understand
Your grandsons, they won't understand
On top of this, I ain't ever gonna understand"

The guitar break came on and Jamie improvised for fun. Alex watched him go ham on the guitar and laughed out of pure joy. He was having so much fun.

They finished the song with only a few tempo issues and Joanna and Kate leapt up clapping.

"That was actually pretty good." Joanna complimented. Alex smiled at her shyly as she grinned back at him.

"Thanks. Should we perfect that one before moving on or has anyone got anything else they wanna suggest?" Alex asked, feeling more confident in the place he was stood.