74. thursday, september 2016

Luna returned to their house around midday. The house was silent which scared her. She looked around, shutting the door silently and tiptoeing through the living room just in case he was anywhere near.

She didn't notice that he was on the sofa and had been ever since she had left. He had been sitting in silence until he passed out around five am.

She put the kettle on, rubbing her forehead in nervousness and stress. It was the first time that Alex had consumed a substance and let it have a bad effect on him. Inside she prayed it wouldn't become a habit.

"Luna?" His voice asked in disbelief. She turned around and scanned his expression as he stood in the doorway. He looked exhausted, his hair was a mess and he had put on a baggy jumper to cover his upper half. His eyes were red and tired. It hurt just to look at him.

"Tea?" She offered. He bit his lip as if he were going to cry.

"I don't deserve tea." He replied. Luna raised her eyebrows.

"Don't be dramatic, Alex." She said as she made him a cup of tea. "Are you sober?" She asked, handing him the mug. He put it on the counter almost immediately.

"I'm so sorry. I never meant to snap at you. I'm just stressed at the moment and you were right, I should take a break or at least take these couple of days I have with you and just spend time with you." He walked towards her and touched her arm.

"It's okay, Alex. You're under a lot of pressure at the moment." She shrugged, sipping her tea. "But you dare tell me to fuck off again and I will not be so calm about it." She raised her eyebrows. He leant forward and kissed her quickly.

"I love you. I'm sorry." He kissed her over and over again until she smiled. "I'm sorry."

"Stop. It's fine." She waved him off and sipped her tea.

It was their first proper argument. Even though Luna had forgiven him, now she had seen a side to him she didn't like. In those moments his eyes were mean and unforgiving which scared her. Now, he looked exhausted and remorseful which she was grateful for but never wanted to see again.

"Go and have a shower. You look like shit." She commented as he leant against the island with his tea.

"Ok. Then we're going out. I've made plans." He informed her. She gave a small smile and sipped her tea. "Where did you stay last night?" He wondered.

"Jen's" She replied. "I need to text her actually and let her know I haven't killed you and she doesn't need to." Alex chuckled and rubbed his eyes. It was clear he was tired.

"Again, I'm sorry but I am going to make it up to you." He smiled weakly. She put her tea down and wrapped her arms around his torso.

"I love you, Alex. Last night scared me. You looked at me with so much aggression." She mumbled into his jumper. Her fingers played with the bottom before reaching under and touching his stomach. His arms tightened around her.

"I'm sorry. I don't want to scare you. I was stressed and had too much to drink. It won't happen again." He said against her head as he swayed their bodies side to side.

"I believe you." She mumbled. "I'm sorry I walked out. My mum told me never to sleep on an argument and that's precisely what I did." She kissed his wool chest.

"Let's move on now." He suggested. "Join me in the shower?" She nodded and they put their tea in the sink to head upstairs.

Luna had only ever lived with one other boy, Adam and it was completely different to this. Adam was a nice guy and they lived happily while they were together but it was such a normal relationship. There was absolutely nothing spectacular about it whatsoever. Their arguments were about dishwashers, how late he came back from the pub and who didn't make the bed. Their bickering never effected Luna emotionally, just irritated her until it was over and then nothing.