22. saturday, february 2004

Alex was sweating. He had never leaked this many pheromones in his life. His head peaked around the room; everyone was there: his mum, dad, Luna, Harry, Miles, Joanna and half their school. Even the pizza guy was here. He looked back to Matt with fear in his eyes.

"I think Nick should sing." He suggested. Nick's eyes widened and he looked at the others in panic. Matt put his arm around Alex and squeezed him.

"Mate, you're a great singer. You've written great songs that we're gonna sing tonight and we're going to have fun out there." He said in his ear. Alex swallowed hard and looked back out to the crowd.

"Think of how turned on Joanna is gonna be when she sees you up there." Jamie attempted to make him feel better. Alex looked up at him and seriously thought about what he was saying.

"Does anyone have the set list?" He asked. Nick passed a piece of paper to him and he looked at the list, absorbing the words. "Okay. This is fine." He breathed. Matt gripped his shoulders.

"Come on Al. You got this. You're Alex Turner." He felt like slapping him. Alex did look a bit pale though but they weren't going to tell him that.

"Alex, mate. You've got no choice. We're going out there at some point." Jamie pointed out.

"Fine." He sighed, passing Nick the set list back. They all patted him on the back as he picked up his new electric guitar and started walking out onto the stage.

"Hello." He said into the microphone. The small group of their family and friends stood at the front screamed. Alex couldn't help but laugh at them going crazy. "We're Arctic Monkeys." He cleared his throat before signalling to the boys.

They started playing Alex's latest song 'I bet that you'd look good on the dance floor'. The crowd went wild for the fast tempo of the song, automatically bobbing along to it.

"Stop making the eyes at me
I'll stop making the eyes at you" He winked at Joanna but then swept his eyes along the crowd to Luna.

"What it is that surprises me
Is that I don't really want you to
And your shoulders are frozen (cold as the night)
Oh, but you're an explosion (you're dynamite)"

Luna screamed at Matt's backing vocals, making Alex laugh as he started the next line.

"Your name isn't Rio, but I don't care for sand
And lighting the fuse might result in a bang, b-b-bang-oh
I bet that you look good on the dance floor
I don't know if you're looking for romance or
I don't know what you're looking for
I said, I bet that you look good on the dance floor
Dancing to electro-pop like a robot from 1984
Well, from 1984
I wish you'd stop ignoring me
Because you're sending me to despair
Without a sound, yeah, you're calling me
And I don't think it's very fair
That your shoulders are frozen (cold as the night)
Oh, but you're an explosion (you're dynamite)
Your name isn't Rio, but I don't care for sand
And lighting the fuse might result in a bang, b-b-bang-oh
I bet that you look good on the dance floor
I don't know if you're looking for romance or
I don't know what you're looking for
I said, I bet that you look good on the dance floor
Dancing to electro-pop like a robot from 1984
Well, from 1984
Oh, there ain't no love, no Montagues or Capulets
Just banging tunes and DJ sets and
Dirty dance floors and dreams of naughtiness!
Well, I bet that you look good on the dance floor
I don't know if you're looking for romance or
I don't know what you're looking for
I said, I bet that you look good on the dance floor
Dancing to electro-pop like a robot from 1984
Said, from 1984"

Alex swooped to the side and took a deep breath. He was going to have to get used to the tempo in the long run. Everyone cheered and clapped for them as they recovered.