52. friday, february 2015

When Luna arrived home from class on Friday night, she found Alex cooking her dinner in her kitchen. It was a sight she could get used to.

"Hi." She grinned, walking in. Alex turned to look at her and smiled cheekily, walking over and kissing her gently.

"You're just in time. It's almost done." He told her. She took her coat off and put it on the hook before placing her bag underneath.

"Where's Jen?" She wondered. Alex smirked as he checked the food.

"Miles took her out so it's just us for dinner." He explained. She grinned at the thought of being alone with him.

Alex served the dinner, it was grilled chicken, potatoes and veg. Luna appreciated it greatly and they sat at her table to dig in.

"I'm so glad no one else every snatched you up." He said. Luna smirked, swallowing a piece of chicken.

"They got close." She teased, wanting to see his reaction to what she was about to tell him. Alex raised an eyebrow.

"Oh yeah?" He wasn't taking it seriously. Luna shrugged, sipping her wine.

"I was engaged a year ago." She pointed out. Alex's face dropped, she couldn't put her finger on what emotion he was expressing. He looked angry, sad and confused all at once.

"What?" He asked as if he hadn't heard her, hoping he hadn't heard her. "To who?" Luna didn't quite understand why he was mad.

"The man you tried to fight in the pub." She answered. Alex looked away from her as if he was trying to figure out how this was possible.

"You were going to marry someone else..." he said quietly as if he was figuring out something else.

It had never really occurred to Alex that when he wasn't with Luna, her life continued. Having a boyfriend was one thing, they could be any type of serious but having a fiancée means commitment and real love.

"Alex...you okay?" She asked. He met her eyes again but soon travelled away.

"You were going to marry him?" He asked, now sounding hurt. Luna shrugged.

"At one point in time, yes there was that possibility." She shrugged.

"You said yes to him. You were going to marry him?" The anger rose. Luna didn't understand why he was feeling like that.

"Alex. I didn't marry him, clearly." She sipped her wine but Alex still didn't quite understand.

"But you were ready to spend the rest of your life with him." He looked away, looking as if he was about to be sick. Luna's heart dropped, Alex had reacted very differently to how she had expected.

"Are you okay?" She asked, noticing how pale he had gone. Why couldn't he wrap his head around this?

"Why didn't you marry him?" He asked, wondering if he was the cause of all of this. What if she was meant to be with this other man and he had been the seed of doubt that prevented them from being together? What if he wasn't meant to be with Luna? "Was it me?" He asked when she didn't answer.

"We weren't speaking back then." No then, he thought. "I assumed I was a one night stand to you so I moved on. Can I just point out that you did the same?" She tried to meet his eyes but they were wide and staring at the table. When he looked up, he looked offended.

"I didn't get engaged though, did I?" He pointed out. Luna raised her eyebrows.

"Alex, I was engaged for two months before I called it off." She explained. "It didn't have anything to do with you, I just didn't want to be with him."