40

I rushed out, ignoring the few people standing around. Except one. I passed the girl that tried to get with Colby when he was carrying me up the stairs.

 "He's all yours." I snarled out, noticing her eyes light up.

She'd be fine just fucking him with no strings. She looked like a damn addict anyways.

 Whatever, I didn't care. Let him fuck whoever he wants. I want nothing to do with him and I'll be perfectly fine never seeing him again...or that's what I kept telling myself as the angry, hurt tears kept pouring from my eyes.

 I got into my car and texted Kat, telling her that I was going home.

I put the car in gear, and couldn't help but to glance up to the window that I knew was Colby's. I inhaled sharply, as I saw him standing there, shirtless again, staring down at me. Even through the space and the thick glass, the intense emotion that I felt from the eye contact was insane.

 Then I remembered why I was in my car in the first place. I flipped him off with both hands, then backed out of the gate, heading home. This would be the very last time that I come back to this house.

A few days later, I was laying on my couch, surrounded by junk food, watching some reality show that I didn't even care about.

My laptop was right next to me. I had been trying to write, but everything kept coming out super melancholy or extremely angry. I couldn't seem to get Colby out of my head. I know that he didn't know about the situation with my parents but that didn't make it hurt any less. Plus, he was just a total dick. I would get over this. I barely knew him anyways.

 It was like he was a drug. One hit and I was addicted. I had to go through these intense withdrawals to get him out of my system. That was all.

I still didn't understand how he had a hold on me like this when I barely knew him, but I was determined to get over it. I would be fine.

 My phone rang so I reached over and grabbed it off the coffee table.

 "Hello?"

 "Hi, can I speak to a Ms. Chloe Daniels?" The guy on the phone had a nice voice, smooth and professional.

 "This is she."

 "Hi, Ms. Daniels. This is Jeff from Nordstrom Cafe. I wanted to see if you could come in today for an interview."

 I sat up straight on the couch, knocking my chip bag in the floor with my sudden movements. "Yeah, I mean yes. What time should I be there?"

The voice kind of laughed. "How about 2 pm? Is that a good time for you?"

 I nodded, then remembered that he couldn't see me. "Yes, that's perfect. Thank you."

"See you then."

 I tossed my phone on the couch, and stood up, doing a little dance. See, things were already looking up for me.

I was in serious need of cash. My account was running really low and Kat had already helped me out on food this week. A job was exactly what I needed to keep me distracted, and to keep me in this apartment.

A knock on the door sounded, then Katrina walked through.

 "Hey babe. How you doing? You look like shit."

 "Well, damn. Thanks bestie, for the compliment."

I hadn't showered in two days, and I was wearing the same sweats that I had on yesterday, with a mustard stain on it from the hot dog that I ate last night. Sue me. I didn't really feel up to making myself pretty. Who the fuck cared anyways?

She shrugged. "I'm just saying. You should get up, get clean, and get hot. You'll feel better."

 I rolled my eyes. "I have to anyways. Just got a call for an interview at Nordstrom."

Her eyes grew wide, and a smile crossed her face. "Oh, I'm so happy for you! Sucks that the publishing companies haven't called you back though."

 "It does, but maybe they just need more time. I'll keep trying regardless."

She pulled me in for a hug. "That's my girl. You aren't a quitter. You've had me worried the last few days. Moping around and staying locked up in this apartment. It's not good for you." She pulled back from me and we sat on the couch together. "Colby must have really done a number on you huh? I couldn't imagine if Sam and I split up. I would be devastated."

 I shook my head. "No, it's not like that. Colby and I were never a thing. Christ, I only knew him a couple of days." I wrapped a strand of hair around my finger, playing with it. "I don't know what it is. He just makes me so fucking crazy. I can't get him out of my head and I don't even understand why! He's like crack or something. One hit and I'm hooked. I just need to get him out of my system. That's all."

 She smoothed my hair down my back. "You know he didn't know about your parents right? He didn't mean anything by that."

Was she really taking up for him right now?

"I know he didn't, but that's not all it was. I told you what happened. What he did, how he acted, and what he said! How can you be on his side right now?!" I stood up, looking down at her, angrily.

 "Chloe, I'm not. I'm just telling you. Plus, I've been over there, and he doesn't look too good himself...which is very odd. They always look good. Colby actually looks sick or something. Sam said he's been staying in his room the majority of the time, only comes out occasionally, won't eat or anything. Said he keeps his headphones in and won't talk to him or anyone else. He's worried about him." My chest clenched, a quick tightening that I ignored.

 What did I care if he felt bad or was doing bad? He deserved to feel bad!

"Whatever. Not my problem. I'm going to take a shower and get ready for my interview. Wanna go with me? For moral support?"