51 (Colby's POV)

"Well...this talk did not go the way that I thought it would at all." I said, taking her hand in mine and placing it in my lap.

She giggled a little and lay her head over on my shoulder. This was weird to me, but it also felt so right. 

"So..." I said, and wrapped my arm around her shoulders like it was the most natural thing in the world. "What about your boss? That preppy boy Jeff."

Chloe turned her head up to look at me. "What about him?"

I shrugged. "He's got a thing for you."

She scoffed, and hid her face in my arm. "No, he doesn't. He's just being a friend."

 I could tell that she was lying. She knew that he liked her.

"You know how I said that I could feel other's emotions sometimes?" I tapped her hand, and she looked back up at me.

"Yeah..." She looked unsure, like she wasn't sure if she believed me.

"You're lying. You know he likes you. He doesn't like me very much, but I can't tell if that's because he likes you or something else."

That's actually fine with me though, because I can already tell that I can't stand the guy. Even if his hormones weren't raging after Chloe, I still wouldn't like him.

 He was just one of those guys that rubbed me the wrong way. Spoiled, preppy rich kid, thinking the world owes him something, and that he can do whatever he wants without retribution. There's always retribution.

 I knew his kind. I didn't like his kind.

"Oh yeah. He said he thought he knew you. Said his girlfriend started hanging out with you guys and then ghosted him."

Well that explains the resentment and hate that I felt from him. I thought it was just about Chloe.

 "What was her name?"

 I probably wouldn't recognize it anyways. I never bothered remembering their names, but still.

She shook her head a little, then leaned it back against my arm.

"I don't know. He didn't say."

 Whatever, probably wasn't important anyways. Just another random girl.

 "Can I ask you a question?" She asked me hesitantly.

 "You just did." I replied, giving her one of the smart ass answers that she had given me before.

 She just rolled her eyes.

 "Can you tell me what you and the guys do...for a living, I guess? You live in that huge house, but it doesn't seem like any of you have normal jobs. I know you said that was part of the dangerous thing and that you hung out with a bad crowd. Was just wondering if you could tell me any more about it?"

 I twisted my earring, thinking about what I might be able to tell her. "I'm not sure. I've told you mostly everything I could I think. The shady part of LA gets in touch with us for their business dealings. We distribute...things for them sometimes, other times we just offer protections. We work with all of the different 'leaders' so that no one can take us out." I laughed at my own words. "Not that anyone could."

She looked worried though. "Aren't you worried about that? That one day there may be someone out there stronger than you, smarter than you? More equipped to take you and your friends out."

I shrugged. "Not really. I'm not trying to gloat or anything, it's just the way it is. That goes back to the part that I can't tell you. I'm sorry. Maybe one day."

She bit her lip, looking at me intently. "You can trust me, ya know."

I shook my head. "I don't know if I can trust you not to run away screaming once you find out the truth...and I'm not ready to lose you just yet."

She sighed and lay her head on my chest. Hope she doesn't notice that I don't have a heartbeat.

"I don't think I'm going anywhere Colby. You told me that you physically assaulted a female, and that you were basically a man whore who doesn't care about women...I'm still here."

"Damn, did you have to put it like that?" I asked, a little affronted.

She wasn't wrong though. She still wanted to be with me after I told her that...I was a little surprised too.

"I'm just saying." She replied, smiling a little sadly. "I don't really understand why I'm not telling you to leave after that...but I can't. I want you here." She looked up into my eyes again. "Actually, I think I need you here...you don't scare me, but that does. I've never needed anyone before and I don't even know you."

 I pulled her closer to me, and lay my head back against the couch. I knew exactly how she felt because I felt the same way.

I didn't get scared. Ever...but this scared the shit out of me.

Chloe ended up falling asleep on me that night. We sat there for so long, without saying anything, I barely noticed when her breathing turned deeper and more relaxed.

I stood, lifting her with me, and carried her to her bedroom. The room was spotless, everything in its place, the bed itself made neatly with no wrinkles. Nothing at all like my own room, where clothes were lying in piles on the floor and thrown over the dresser. I saw the Green Day poster on the wall, next to the One Direction poster.

So she had a secret thing for boy bands. That soft side that she rarely lets out...except for today.

We had both been soft most of the day today. I needed a break away from that part of myself. I wasn't used to it and it was freaking me out a little.

 I held her with one arm, and tossed her covers back with the other, tucking her into her bed. I pulled the blanket up to her chin, and she reached out in her sleep, grabbing my hand.

My long dead heart felt like it jumped in my chest.

"Colby, I think-" She mumbled something else, but I couldn't make it out even with the super hearing.

Damn. I really wanted to know what she was saying.

That meant she was dreaming about me though.