65 (Colby's POV)

"How do you know that she's dreaming about you?" Sam asked.

 I chuckled a little.

"She talks in her sleep."

He chewed his bottom lip, looking at me. I rolled my eyes.

 "Dude, just tell me what's bothering you. Please. It's driving me crazy. You keep looking at me, like I've got 3 heads or something. Just spill it already."

 He shrugged and looked away. "What makes you think there's something to tell? I'm just surprised that my boy is ready to date again, that's all!"

 I punched his shoulder, not too lightly. "Stop bullshitting me Sam. I know you. I know something is up. Now tell me. Do you think I'm moving too fast with Chloe? Is that it? Because we don't know each other very well or something? Cuz if you remember, dating is how you get to know someone. You didn't know Kat very well either a few months ago." I raised my eyebrows at him, waiting for his reply.

He let out a long breath.

"No, that's not it. Look Colby," He ran his hands through his short blonde hair. "I'm gonna tell you something but I need you to not freak out and try to run away from it. Don't push Chloe away just because of this. It might not mean anything. You should still get to know her better and try dating."

 I glared at him now, for dragging this out. It was starting to worry me.

 "What the fuck is it Brother? Tell me, or fuck off."

 He held his hands up. "Okay, okay. Chill. Chloe's dreams...they're about the balcony kiss."

"What? How? I must not have done it correctly. I was afraid that would happen. Damn...she's gonna kill me if she figures out that actually happened."

 I knew that I had been too quick about compelling her that night. Sam looked at me, confused.

 "Bro, it doesn't matter how quick you are. You know that. Compulsion works, regardless of how fast it's done."

 I shook my head. "No, I've heard of it not working if you're too fast with it. Like, it'll work at first, but then come back." Sam's turn to shake his head, smiling at me in a sympathetic way. "What?" I asked, getting annoyed.

 "That's not how it works Colby. If you do it incorrectly, it just doesn't work. If they forget, then it worked. The only way the memory comes back is if they are turned or..." His voice trailed off as I looked at him expectantly.

I had never had the problem of compulsion not working for me before but I guess there was a first time for everything.

"Oh my God, you are annoying the fuck out of me! What?!"

He rolled his eyes. "You really refuse to believe in it, don't you? The One Colby! The only way the memories come back is if you compel your One."

 I rolled my eyes right back at him. "That bullshit legend again? That's all you ever think about now that you found Katrina. Maybe you should try compelling her to see if she's the One." I replied, sarcastically.

 He licked his lips, staring at me.

 "I'm actually going to talk to her and see if she's okay with that. Just to satisfy my curiosity. You can deny it, for now, but you and I both know you haven't felt like this about anyone else, ever. Not even Emilie, who you claim was the love of your life."

 I glared at him. "Don't talk about Emilie." I replied, stonily.

 He tilted his head, looking at me.

 "I'm just saying Colby. Tell me I'm wrong. Tell that you don't feel for Chloe more than Emilie. Even if you refuse to admit that you already love her, at least admit that whatever feelings you have for her are stronger than the supposed love of your life. I'm not bringing this up to hurt you, but for you to see. You fed on Emilie, until you killed her."

"Stop it, Sam."

"Listen to me! She cried out to you to stop. You didn't because you were lost. You didn't hear her. I understand that."

 "Sam!" I said in a warning tone.

 He needed to stop. My control was slacking and I really didn't want to hurt him.

"Fine. But with Chloe you stopped. Her voice broke through and you stopped. There's a difference there Brother. Did you know that the legend says that our One is the only one that can bring us back from the brink? That sometimes all it takes is the sound of their voice?"

No, I didn't know that, because I didn't believe in this stupid ass legend! Don't believe, I mean. I don't believe in it.

 I leaned forwards, placing my head in my hands. Oh what the fuck was going on? Chloe has flipped my entire world upside down.

I felt Sam's hand come down on my shoulder.

"I've got the book in my room if you wanna check it out. It has a lot of information about the legend of the One. That's how I know that Katrina is mine. I only want to do the compulsion test to solidify it. To prove to her that we're destined. I know this is rough for you to admit Colby, but you should at least read over the information."

 I scoffed at him. "I'm not letting some stupid legend, or fairy tale, or fucking destiny tell me how I'm supposed to live my life. I make my own choices." I looked at Sam. "I have control of my own life." Even I heard the pleading in my voice.

This scared me. It had me shook to my core.

I knew that I really like Chloe, and that it was something that I never felt before, but for it to be predestined for some strange reason...for the universe to force us together, and for us to not have a choice over it...how was I supposed to know if the feelings were real, or just some stupid vampire thing controlling me again?

Sam's eyes were sympathetic again. He knew what I was going through right now, simply because he knew me. It didn't bother him. He was always a romantic son of a bitch, but me...I needed control in my life.

 I didn't have any control over becoming a vampire. Then I lost control because of the vampire thing, and ended up hurting and killing someone that I dearly loved.