TRAGEDY STRIKES

The next day, Can left for the agency and Leyla came over with Guliz. Deniz and Guliz went outside to play in the yard. Sanem and Leyla were playing with the twins. Leyla asked Sanem if she missed working. Sanem said she did at times. She asked Leyla what about her. Leyla said yes. She misses talking to adults. They both laughed. Sanem went into the kitchen to make some lunch for Deniz, Guliz and the twins. She made sandwiches for the older girls and soft food for the twins. Sanem made her own version of baby food. She felt it was healthier. Leyla went outside to bring Deniz and Guliz in for lunch. They were not in the yard and the fence gate was open. Leyla started yelling for the girls but got no answer. She ran back inside to tell Sanem. Sanem started panicking and called Can. Leyla called Aziz and Mihriban to let them know the girls got out of the fence. Can grabbed Emre on his way out of the agency. They rushed to the truck and headed home. Aziz, Mihriban and Bulut showed up at Sanem's a short time later. Mihriban told them to go look for the girls. She would stay with the twins. So, Aziz, Bulut, Sanem and Leyla headed off into the forest in search of the girls.

Can and Emre showed up right after the group left to search. Mihriban told them to go help look. She told them the group left just a few minutes ago. Emre and Can took off towards the forest. Mihriban called Nihat and Mevkibe to let them know what has happened. They said they would be right there. Sanem and Bulut went one way and Aziz and Leyla went the other way. They were all shouting for the girls, but still got no response. Sanem was getting worried. Deniz had never opened the gate before. The girls were in the yard for only about 20 minutes, so they could not have gotten far. They kept walking through the forest and yelling their names.

Can and Emre heard them yelling for the girls. Emre followed the sound of his wife's voice and Can followed the sound of his wife's voice. Can caught up to Sanem and she ran to him. She was crying and he was trying to calm her. She told Can she failed as a mother and now their daughter is missing. Can told her she did not fail. She was an awesome mother and they would find the girls. Can told her to let him lead. He was pretty good at tracking. Sanem said OK. Sanem and Bulut followed behind Can. Can saw no signs of the girls coming this way and he told Sanem. Sanem cried harder and told Can it would be dark soon. Can telephoned Mihriban and told her to call the police for a search and rescue. They tried a different route through the forest but Can still saw no signs that the girls came this way. They met up with Emre, Aziz and Leyla. Aziz was also a good tracker and he told Can there was no signs that the girls came their way either. Can said it looked like the girls never entered the forest, so they backtracked home.

By the time they made it back to Sanem and Can's house, Nihat, Mevkibe and the police rescue unit were there. The police had brought there K9 dogs to help with the rescue. Mihriban were giving the dogs something of the girl's so they could catch a smell of the girls. The dogs took off in the opposite direction of the forest. They were headed towards Sanem's old house on the farm. Everyone ran after the dogs. The dogs ran to the pool area in the backyard of Mihriban's house. Can spotted Guliz sitting by the pool crying. Can did not see Deniz at first then he spotted her. She was in the pool unconscious. Can immediately dived in and grabbed his daughter. He swam to the edge of the pool and lifted her out. Can immediately jumped out and started CPR. The police unit called in for an ambulance. Emre and Leyla ran over to Guliz and picked her up. Can continued CPR on Deniz while Aziz, Nihat and Mevkibe consoled Sanem. A few minutes later, Deniz spewed the water from her lungs but remained unconscious. The ambulance arrived and took over. They said she had a pulse and she was breathing on her own. They just could not explain why she was still unconscious. They loaded her into the ambulance and rushed her to the hospital. Can and Sanem jumped into the truck and followed the ambulance.

Once at the hospital they rushed Deniz back to a room where doctors were waiting for her. Can and Sanem had to wait in the waiting area. It seemed like forever before the doctor came to talk to them. He told them Deniz was stable. Her vitals were all normal. The x-ray showed no more water in her lungs. She was breathing on her own. He just could not figure out why she wouldn't wake up. He was admitted her into the hospital. He was going to have a neurologist to check her over. Can and Sanem asked to see her. The doctor said that was fine. They entered Deniz's room. She looked just like she was asleep. She looked like an angel and very peaceful. Sanem went over and took her daughter's hand. Her little hand was so cold. Sanem was crying and begging her daughter to wake up. Can had silent tears running down his face.

After a while, they left her room. Sanem sat down in a chair outside Deniz's room. Can asked her if she was ready to go home. Sanem looked at him and said she wasn't leaving her daughter. Can told her she was in good hands and they could come back tomorrow. Sanem said she was not leaving her and that was final. Can said if you stay, then I stay. If you leave, then I leave. Sanem said I am staying. Can told her he was staying too then. He called Mihriban and told her what was going on. Mihriban said she would stay there with the twins. Can thanked her. They sat side by in the waiting room, neither saying anything to the other. Sanem was silently crying. She looked at Can and told him she was sorry. He asked for what. Sanem told him this was her one fear when she first got pregnant. She feared she would fail as a wife and mother. And she failed at both. She again told him how sorry she was. Can turned her around to face him. He looked her straight in the eyes and told her this was not her fault. It was accident and she failed at nothing. Sanem asked Can what they were going to do if she didn't wake up. Can told her Deniz would wake up. It was just going to take time. Can wrapped his arms around Sanem and just held her.

Throughout the night, they would pop in to check on their oldest daughter. She still had not regained consciousness. Eventually Sanem fell asleep in Can's arms while sitting in the waiting area. Soon it was morning, and Can was still holding a sleeping Sanem. She slowly woke up and realized where she was. She thought she would wake up and it would all be a dream. She sat upright and asked Can if there was any change. Can told her no. They went into Deniz's room to see her. She was till laying in the same position as she was last night. The nurse came in and told them Deniz was having a series of tests done this morning. Can asked Sanem if she wanted to return home to shower and change. Sanem asked him if he would bring her right back. Can said of course. They headed home a short time later. They updated Mihriban and Aziz who both stayed at the house with the twins. They told Can and Sanem to go shower and they would continue staying with the twins. Can and Sanem went and showered. Once dressed in clean clothes, they got in the truck and headed back to the hospital. Can stopped at a little cafe on the way back to get them tea and a breakfast sandwich. They ate their sandwiches on the way to the hospital. They parked the truck in the hospital parking lot and headed to their daughter's room.