The Story

The ride home was filled with silence. You could only hear the sound of engine and the sound of air conditioning from the car. Jungkook parked the car at the usual spot and went towards the passenger seat to open the door for you.

"You are not asking?" You finally said to him, the silence between you is killing you somehow. 

"I'm waiting for you to tell me. I don't want to force you." Jungkook said. You stepped out of the car and walked along with him towards the lift. You wanted to tell him everything but you have no idea where to start. There is a part of your history you wanted to put aside forever. But you knew Jungkook is someone you can trust. You took a deep breath before going on. "Jisoo is my elder sister." 

You paused and observed his reaction. He leaned on the wall in the lift and looked at you. He wanted you to continue to talk. He did not look angry at you for keeping secrets from him. You expected him to be close to the moment when he found you Jaekay was his son. On the contrary, he was patiently waiting, instead of being mad at you for keeping secrets.

Actually keeping this part of your family history from him was not your intention. You just did not have the opportunity and the reason to let him know because your sister was not worth the time and effort mentioning. After everything that she has done, she does not even deserve to be a part of your life. Everything about her was just a miserable part of your life you wanted buried in the ground with your parents.

"She is probably the reason my father's company went into bankruptcy." You explained your side of the story. And Jungkook frowned, because what you said was not in his fact sheets. He thought he knew the whole story but you obviously knew something that he did not. At least, he did not know you had a sister. And he did not know how she is related and he asked. "How?"

"She had a boyfriend who gambles in the past. And he led her to start gambling. That was when our family's nightmares began." The lift finally reached your floor. Jungkook reached his hand towards your and slipped his fingers between yours. His warm hands magically soothed your anxiousness and fast beating heart. Jihoon brought Jaekay out and so there was no one at home at that moment, which was a relief. 

He led you to sit on the sofa and he sat on the coffee table in front of it so he could face you as you continued the story he never knew. And at the same time, he was prepared to share the story he kept from you.

"Jisoo. She kept asking my father for money and it never seemed enough. There was a day loansharks came to our house demanding to take me away as compensation." Your hands shivered at the thought. That day when the loan sharks came, your mother told you to hide in your room and not make a noise no matter what happened. Jungkook held your shivering hands tightly and rubbed his thumb in circles to calm you down. "You're safe now. I'm here with you."

"My father gave Jisoo all the money that she owed them, but resulting in liquidity problems in the company. And that's why my father did what he did." You felt your tears falling from your eyes uncontrollably. Jungkook wrapped his arms around you and pulled you towards his chest so you could cry comfortably. You never wanted to disclose this part of your history to him because you were afraid he might see you differently. You have a gambler sister and a criminal father.

You opening up and telling him has lifted a ton of stones off his shoulders. The secret that he always wanted to keep away from you. The secret that was tearing him apart since the first day. He had always wanted to tell you but he also wanted to protect you from being hurt knowing the truth behind your father's death. But, Taehyung was right. You knew. Maybe after all, Taehyung was the one who knew you the best.

"You knew all along?" Jungkook asked. You nodded in his shoulder. He stroked your hair while you cried. He wished he knew how much you suffered earlier and he wished he was there for you earlier. He could have and he should have. "I'm sorry."