Chapter 33

Rohan's POV

I breathed heavily as Arjun drove us in those familiar lanes which led to Aaryan's house. All the memories which I buried inside my heart and thought that I managed to get over started to cloud my mind again. I felt some uneasiness, my breaths become uneven that I thought I wouldn't be able to breathe after some time. I looked at Arjun who was driving the car silently till now.

He felt my gaze and looked at me for a brief moment before facing the road again.

"Don't you dare to give that look to me." He said sighing a bit, "I am not going to turn around the car."

"I don't even want you to do that." I said looking out of the window again, "I am glad that I am not driving." I finished in a plain voice.

Arjun chuckled still looking at the road. My heart started beating uneven as the house got closer. I felt reckless. I was trying to think about all the positive stuff but this street and those memories were not helping me.

I remember going out late at night for walks in these lanes with him. Eating at stalls, making jokes, laughing at our own stupidity till our stomach ached. A small smile formed on my lips surprisingly as I looked out at the once familiar street which no longer remained so familiar to me. Things have changed there, some stalls were missing, buildings have changed, the roads seemed cleaner, new stalls and shops have taken their places there.

I didn't expect changes to happen here as if this place will remain unaffected by the time. I always imagined this street to be the same, but nothing remains the same. Everything changes with time. I wished 'everything' would include the pain I go through every day of losing my friend, the guilt I feel every second I breathe because I'm the reason he's not with me today.

My mind started to wander off to the darkest of thoughts when the car came to a halt bringing me back to reality.

"Here we are," Arjun said looking to the side at the small house. I did the same as my heart skipped a beat. It was actually happening, I was actually there. I took a deep breath as we stayed silent for a moment unable to move anywhere just sitting on the seats looking out.

"Rohan," Arjun called out my name breaking the uncomfortable silence. I looked at him only to find him looking back at me with concern.

"Don't worry. I won't fuck it up. I promise." I said giving him a faint small smile. Arjun sighed and looked ahead.

"Just..." He said closing his eyes for a moment and looked back at me, "Don't be in rush... Okay?" He asked, waiting for me to answer.

"Yes..." I said and shifted my gaze to my hands which were resting on my laps. I closed my eyes and took a breath before unlocking the door.

"Rohan..." Arjun yelled as I was about to go outside. I sat on my seat again and looked at him being confused.

"What's wrong?" I asked being horrified.

"Pull on that hood, asshole! You are not just Rohan anymore who used to roam on these streets doing nothing with your best friend." He said giving me annoyed expressions, "You are 'The Rohan Nanda' now. Remember? And please I have no strength to handle that mob now so please don't get spotted and rush inside the damn house. Okay?" He finished with wrinkles on his forehead.

I sighed. Time has really changed. I can't even walk on these streets anymore or meet a few of the people who I know from that time just to greet them.

"Yes, got it," I said and got out lowering my head and pulling the hoodie to cover my face. I rushed inside the gate following Arjun behind me.

But I stopped in the midway when I was just inches away from entering the house. The door was wide open as if it was expecting me to come. My hands started trembling. Fear took over me. I voluntarily looked up to where I used to stay 10 years back... No big change has happened to this house, my first home in Mumbai. It looked more well-conditioned now, of course, Ahana was so much into renovating the house. But I was happy that it still looks familiar and same. This place holds so many special moments that I've lived with my best friend which now turned into precious memories to me. I missed him. If he was still here with me then he would have come running now and hugged me tight with his big bright positive smile which would have said how much he was proud of me. How much he was happy seeing me here.