16 - KNOWING MORE

|| BRAD ||

Dang... I just wish it could have lasted longer, and now he needs to go back home? If this was an actual official date this would have sucked. As much as I hated for it to end, I sighed in defeat and walked him to my truck. I was hesitating to open up the passenger seat but gestured him to enter anyways. He gives me a quick smile before getting in. After closing his door, I drove us back to my place.

But, I suppose that's what I get with trying to turn this into a date when it was supposed to be him tutoring me...

-

"What a shame, you're leaving already?" My mother said.

Noah picked up his bag, "Yeah, sorry about that. I have to do some paperwork and assist my Dad with his business work," Noah said. My parents and I raised an eyebrow, confused as to what he meant with that. Noah let out a small chuckled, "Yeah... kinda sounds like an adult job, but that's what I do..." Noah said in embarrassment, "...anyways, I really have to go now. It was nice meeting you."

"Come back next time," my mother said before Noah exited out of the house with a kind expression. A frown plastered on my face as my feet wandered up to my room. With disappointment, I fell on my bed on my front and groaned. Damn, I already miss him. I hugged my pillow tightly and closed my eyes. Imagining that at this moment, this pillow in my arms, is Noah; soft, cuddly, and comforting.

-

"Brad," I heard my mother's voice from the other side of my bedroom door. I rubbed my eyes and sat up from my bed. I must have dozed off for a while. My door opens and I saw my mother peeking in to check on me, "dinner is ready," she said.

"Huh... okay," I groaned and got out of bed and walked out. My mother lead the way downstairs and made it to the dining table. Steak and... asparagus. We ate in silence, that is until mom asked who Noah was specifically. "Oh, he's uhh... friend?" I murmured. Should I be honest and open? I wanted to refer to him as my boyfriend which sounds stupid, but I haven't had Noah's permission to call him that yet.

"Ah, new friend. What does he do?" My father asked for this time.

"He's sort of a... prep? I think that might somewhat explain why he mentioned about doing business with his parents," I pondered and tapped my chin. My parents looked at each other quizzically for a moment then back at me. "Interesting," my mother said. They continued to ask me a few more questions, but I tried to stir it away unnoticeably by saying that I'll be having a football game soon.

-

It felt as if the weekends have flown so quickly. I quickly got dressed for school and slung my bag on my shoulder. I grabbed my car keys from my desk and headed downstairs. "Don't forget your lunch!" My mother called out before I completely made my way out of the house. I went back to the kitchen and saw her handing out my food. "Thanks," I said. She gives me a peck on the cheek and lets me go. "Bye Dad," I said out loud, hoping he could hear me wherever he is in the house. "Bye son," his voice echoed back. I got out of the house, went in my truck, and started it. Heaving a sigh before droving to school.

-

"So..." Liam started as he scooted his seat closer to mine in biology class. "How'd it go?" He continued.

"What?" I looked at him.

"Your date, with Noah," Liam said with such a smug face.

"What?!" Andrea whispered loudly as her head turned to both of us with such a surprised face.

"Umm... I don't know if I could even consider it as a date," I said with my hand rubbing the back of my head out of awkwardness.

"Dude," Liam leaned over my desk and made hard eye contact with me. "I saw you taking him to the restaurant," he said with a grin.

"Ohhh," Andrea said with a cheeky smile as she was still listening.

"You were stalking us?" I said with an eyebrow raised.

"The fuck are you talking about?" Liam said, "I work there. My cousin owns that place, don't you remember? I picked up my check that day but I kept myself anonymous so you wouldn't get distracted."

"Touché," I muttered.

"What an odd combination," Andrea commented. Liam and I looked at her to see her leaning on her arm, "huh?" I said.

"A jock and a prep. A bit of a juxtaposition don't you think," she said.

Liam rolled his eyes and properly sat down on his seat, "I mean, why not?" He said.

"Love works in mysterious ways..." she said with a gentle smile and turned her attention to her book in front of her, "since when did you like him?" She glanced at our direction.

Liam turned to me and waited for my answer as well, "technically junior year, then I wanted to take action since he recently came out," I answered.

"Oh yeah..." Andrea said with a frown. "He should be careful though," Andrea continued as she looked at me, "if you want him to be comfortable with everything, you should be there for him. You don't know what the people of this school might do with him despite his hierarchy of being a prep." I folded my hands and hung my head low. No one seems to be minding my orientation, or openly expressing any form of homophobia, but I don't exactly know if people feel the same way towards Noah. A random image of him being bullied interrupted my head. I quickly dismissed that thought and shook my head. Seeing him getting hurt made me feel sad for him and mad that someone would have the audacity to do so.

I swear, I'll be there for him, care for him, and protect him.