60 - STAND UP FOR YOURSELF

||NOAH||

Friday

Driving to Annabel's house to pick her up, I parked alongside the street in front of her house and gave her and a single honk. Waiting, I watched as the front door opened, showing Annabel and her mom. They gave each other waves of goodbye before she came inside to the front seat. "Hey, how're you doing?" I asked.

"Doing well, I managed to finish my Biology papers just in time. Come on, I think the game's gonna start in a few minutes," she nodded. Pulling off from the sidewalk, we headed off to school.

-

Entering the doors through the front, the entire lounge was packed with families and spectators who are ready to watch. I noticed a few familiar faces from our team that were roaming around having a chat with others. "Have you ever went to a basketball game?" I asked Annabel.

"A few times whenever Brad's involved," she turned to me. I held her hand as both of us decided to take a little bit of a stroll and find any of the others. Then, guys with jerseys of TopStar's colors began appearing more often in the crowd. We passed by the snacks stand and through the groups of people. Suddenly, I froze in place, stopping the two of us in the spot. "What's wrong?" Annabel asked. She followed my steady look into the gathering and saw Damian staring at us. I tightened my hold on Annabel's hand. Damian started walking towards us with a calm expression. "Noah," he called out. I don't know why, but out of instinct as if I was prey and he was a predator, with Annabel's hand with mine, I started distancing myself from him as much as I could and started picking up the pace. "Wait! Noah hold up, I wanna talk to you!" His voice became louder. Looking back, I saw that he was jogging to chase us. Suddenly, Annabel stopped running with me and separated herself.

"Anna?" I looked at her with perplexed worry.

She stood her ground, and slowly made her way to him who started slowing down, "back off Damian," she said with a scowl.

He looks at her, rather surprised but shook his head, "out of the way Annabel, I'm here to talk to Noah," he sent a sharp look at me, making me step back.

"We don't want to talk to you," Annabel retorted, crossing her arms.

"Whatever," Damian growled, stepping to the side to pass her when Annabel stuck her arm out and pushed him back.

"I guess I didn't make myself clear. Get lost," Annabel's voice raised. Staring at the two, I never thought I would experience this fierce side of Annabel, especially seeing her raise her voice on none other than Damian.

"Fucking hell, I just want to say something to him," Damien growled.

"To Noah? The boy who you called derogatory terms to? He's obviously not gonna want to associate with you. You're talking to two people who you've shit on back then!" Annabel yelled aloud, taking Damian backed with a stunned expression. He looks at her with wide eyes, staring at Annabel's aggressive ones.

"What's going on here?"

We turned to see Zack walking over, shocked to see the three of us together. Damian growled, scoffed at Anna, and looked at me one last time before finally leaving us alone. "What the heck was that about?" Zack looked very clueless.

"He's just being an ass," Annabel shook her head. Turning to me, she whispered, "sorry you had to see that..."

"N-no, it's okay. Thanks for protecting me," I said, appreciated.

"Geez, if Brad saw him messing either of you, he wouldn't hesitate to beat him up in front of these many people," Zack sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "Anyways, we saved you guys front rows spots, or rather near ones," he motions us to follow. Annabel and I strode side by side with Zack, keeping close near him.

We enter the gymnasium and he points us to our area in the middle where Davey and Taylor were also sat on, just a bench further from the floor. "Thanks, Zack," I said to him.

"No problem, I'm gonna go meet up with the others now," he grins, waving away to the locker room I assume.

"Oh, hey guys!" Davey greeted us, patting the open space beside him.

"Of course you guys came," Taylor smirked. We gave them a smile as Annabel and I took our seats. Relaxing, I looked at her from the corners of my eyes.

"I didn't think you had that in you, never would I thought you could swear..." I said.

She sighs, "I... I'm surprised as well that I scared myself. To be honest, I was terrified of facing him, but it was just that... There was so much pent up anger against him, my adrenaline kicked in," she murmured. I nodded quietly. I understood, Damian isn't in my favorite list either, but I just don't have the strength to stand up for myself against him. The speakers of this place blared as everyone else started pouring in through the doors, taking in their spots. The other school's audience sat on the bleachers across us with their team huddled while Wolverine high's player entered in a line formation from our side.

The announcer's voice boomed, "Welcome everybody, to the Wolverine vs Topstar basketball game!"