49 - A BOLD PECK

||NOAH||

Remembering my parents' words, I invited Brad over for dinner. I have him following us from behind with his truck but I had to drop off Annabel at her house first. We sat in silence as I drove towards her place. Ever since the first time we hadn't talked when alone together in my car, it continued until now. Her minimal presence makes it feel like we're strangers. I just wanted to say something. Keeping my face on the road but glancing in the corner of my eye, I said, "Anna, would you like the come with us for dinner instead?" I suggested, slightly hoping she would accept so we could talk some more.

She turned to me with a look as if she had not expected that, but she frowned afterward, "no thank you. I don't want to be a third wheeler and bother you guys," she smiled, but it was the same faintly odd expression she gave from the past few days. I just nodded, thinking how pointless it would be to continue persuading her to consider my invite. I held my built sigh and remained on the route to Annabel's house.

-

Stopping near the sidewalk in front of her house, I parked and looked over to check Annabel. "Goodbye," I said to her.

She gives me a small nod, "thanks, you too," she says as she gets off. I watched her head to her front door. I also noticed Brad, leaning slightly outwards with his arm out the window, observing her intently. I wondered and imagined in his perspective if this was how they used to be, Brad making sure Anna gets it without any trouble and getting in safely. Seeing him looking at her made me realize how sweet and caring he is. "Noah, you okay?" I hear him say to me from his truck. I realized that I had been staring at him.

"Y-yes!" I replied, getting back in place with my hand on my steering wheel.

-

We arrived soon and are stood right at the doors. I noticed Brad beside wriggling his fingers and glanced up to look at me him appearing a bit nervous, his chest expanding from his staggered breathing. I intertwined my hand with him which must have caught him by surprise, "everything's gonna be fine," I gave him a reassuring smile.

He gulps, "okay...okay," he says and repeats calmly. I got my keys out of my pocket and opened the door for us, "are your housekeeper and chef here?" Brad asked quizzically.

"Well... Danny, said housekeeper, mostly stays over during the day and he might be off considering it's dark right now. Mowery, on the other hand, practically stays with us cause he makes us food," I explained to which Brad pouted at, "what's wrong?" I asked him.

"Nothing..." he shook his head with a sigh as we finally stepped in. Brad kept viewing everywhere and taking every bit of detail, "I'll never get over how amazing your place is..." he murmured. He looked so stunned.

Right then, I saw my Dad walk in the living room at the same time. A delighted look grows on his face, "Hey there!" He says enthusiastically as my dad stands in front of me and I gave him a hug. Once we retracted, my father's eyes turn to Brad, "welcome back," he grins, pulling out his hand.

"Thanks for having me here," Brad grins as he firmly takes my father's hand and gives it a shake.

"Dinner will be prepared in about an hour. In the meantime, Noah why don't you give Brad some company for a while," he nods. Brad and I looked at each other and I motioned him to follow me. Doing so, we both went upstairs, through the same long corridor, and into my bedroom. I smiled at him and sat on the edge of my bed. "What do you wanna do?" I said, looking at him.

He tilts his head and rubs the back of his neck, "no good ideas actually, maybe we can just talk?" He chuckles.

"Sure," I patted the spot beside me, gesturing him to take a seat so he didn't have to awkwardly stand in the middle of the room. His face reddens but does take his place. As unpredicted, he ruffles my hair out of nowhere. I looked at him dumbfounded, then weakly punched him on the arm to which he laughs at then calms down, "You're so cute, ya know?" his brows furrowed upwards looking at me playfully. I couldn't hide the fact the I was getting embarrassed from how to take his... "compliment?" But I just let out a giggle. "I was so nervous I forgot to ask, what'd you think of the performance?" I said, beginning to lay down on my bed as I stared at his back.

He slightly turns his head at me and also relaxes by laying beside me, "you killed it, you're awesome, And I just... I just wanted to... kiss you then..." his ears were progressively turning red. I caught him flashing his eyes slightly looking downwards. Nice try, you need to he more discrete for it to be less detectable. A weird urge inside me felt a bit frisky as I grinned. I imitated his actions and would purposely look at his lips for a second. His facial expression shifts. I then quickly gave him a daunting peck on his nose, to which his mouth opens in surprise. I bashfully glanced away for a moment before returning to him, only to see that he seems to have enjoyed it. "So you wanna play that game huh?" His voice went deep and husky. I blinked a few times to realize he had then held me in his strong grasp he was that fast. "Woah," I gasped. He presses me right at his chest as I hear him bring out a low chuckle.

"Getting risqué now aren't you?" He said with a flirty look on his face.