72 - A REUNION

||BRAD||

I have a couple of stacks of unfinished schoolwork; on top of that, my parents are also waiting for me to accomplish my pending house chores which is really discouraging. Sighing, I decided to tend the place first and vacuum the floors. Ever since Noah had left for Germany two days ago, the only people I have left to interact with is everyone else but him for now. I tried to contact Noah, though he could only give a few brief texts for a few understandable reasons.

After cleansing the carpets from filth, I decided to sit down on the couch for a while to think. Noah had sent me a few images in his departure: from the airport to actually landing in a different country, he tries to keep in touch when he only gets the chance of connecting on the internet. Checking back in the images, I smiled as he would occasionally take selfies of himself and with his parents. I don't usually fill my gallery with random generic stuff, only things that I find important and ones that hold valuable memories. I seemed to have scrolled a bit too far that I passed the recent ones of Noah and into older pictures. Here I am, sat down reminiscing of the times Annabel and I were together. Filled with a mixture of both happiness as well as a tinge of sadness, I kept staring earnestly at a picture of me and her, making me remember so much of what we had before. Glancing away, I realized how less the two of us chat now. It was a melancholic thought and I frowned at it. Taking a breather, I wonder if we could try to talk or doing something together at the moment. Exiting out to tap on my contacts, I searched for her name. My finger hovered over her profile and lingered. I don't know why, but it felt as if it was the first time talking to her like it had been back then. When I finally clicked, my phone started calling her and I waited. Seconds pass and the buzzing kept going for a while.

She didn't respond. I felt disappointed as my phone return to the numbers list. She didn't really decline, nor accept, more of just not returning an action. I tried again, and this time I murmured to myself, "please answer..." I whispered.

"Yes... Brad?" Her voice sounded from the other side.

Clearing my throat, "H-hi..." I said awkwardly. I shouldn't be nervous, but I am. I couldn't really tell why. Is it because it really has been a while since I've spoken to her one on one? or perhaps I could still feel the heartbreak and fear it? It's in the past, and I shouldn't let it bother me anymore. Shaking my head and recollecting my thoughts, "how have you been?" I said.

It was obvious that this came to a surprise to her. Judging by the silence at first, she didn't know what to say. It took a while before she could react, "oh, I'm doing well," she says.

Sighing, I pursed my lips, "I uh, don't have anything planned for today. I was wondering, maybe we can catch up? Grab a coffee..." I said. Deep down, I genuinely just want to make up for the past and rekindle our friendship.

"You... why?" She said unsure.

"I just... miss being with you I guess?" I bit my lip as guilt surged through me. These repressed feelings are kept away but are still there loitering in the depths of my mind. I still can't let go of her to this day. It's not that I'm replacing Noah. No! That's not who I am. I keep true to my words and I truly meant that I want to be with him. Just for now, I just want to at least talk with Anna.

"Miss... me?" I could tell she was unnerved. This time, I didn't say anything and remained quiet. I could hear that she was murmuring to herself, "... would you mind picking me up at my house then?" She asked.

My eyes perked wide as I straightened my back. I let out a small breath and smiled, "sure, I'll see you at 11:00," I said.

"Okay, bye," she said and hung up the call. Now, staring at my remaining tasks, I quickly went back to work and started cleaning the house.

-

As I stop by at her place, I walk up to her door and raised my hand. Giving three soft knocks, I waited until I heard emerging footsteps and the knob beginning to jingle. As the door open, Annabel had her head angled lowly but her pretty eyes at me. "Hey..." I grinned.

She smiles and gives me a wave, "Hi Brad," she greets, "so, where are you taking me?"

"Wanna head to the mall? We can do a bunch of stuff there?" I said.

"Oh really?" She tilts her head. I nod at her as we both start making our way my truck. Opening the door for her, I give her a kind gesture. She hilds me a polite expression as she gets in. Hopping in front of the wheel, I was now driving us around. We both had our eyes in different directions. Annabel was leaning towards the window. I wanted to say something, but she had beat me to it, "so, why are you doing this?" She says.

I drew a breath and faced her, "I just wanted it to be like the good old days, you know?"

"This isn't a date right?" She added in quickly as she shot her head at me, her face showing no sense of humor.

I shook my head, "no," I returned to watch the road.

Her hands fold together, her thumbs fumbled, "yeah, it wouldn't be fair for Noah. I'm glad you've moved on now..."

"...moved on..."