chapter 38

Ashley's POV:

Auston was arguing. Donna went off on him. 

"Ashley's mom can't say a damn thing right now because you're marrying her daughter, but Ashley isn't my daughter.. I love her like a daughter which is why I am telling you to shut up and stop arguing. Ashley, your future wife is pregnant and the baby is in danger. You are adding more stress to the situation. Stop being immature and shut the fuck up and leave this hospital and don't come back. You are so insecure about yourself.. Get the hell out!"

Auston left and I hugged Donna and everyone else left and I was alone with Patrick. He sat in the chair by my bed.

"How are you?"

"I'm scared.. What if we lose the baby?"

"We aren't going to... Our baby is strong, you just need to relax and not worry.." Patrick said

"I can't relax.." I said

Patrick crawled into the bed and he pulled me in his arms and he said, "Relax.."

I ended up falling asleep in his arms later and I woke up in his arms.

"How's the baby?" I asked the nurse coming into check on us at 3am

"Everything looks good.." She said

I laid my head back down and went back to sleep. I woke up early the next morning and Patrick was up.

"The doctor just came in and said everything looks better.."

I was so relieved. I looked at Patrick and he said, "Your mom is on her way with breakfast.."

My mom made my favorite chocolate chip pancakes. I sat in the hospital bed with Patrick and I said, "I shouldn't be eating this.."

"You are pregnant.. The baby is going to love the chocolate."

Patrick grabbed one and ate one. He said, "Come on, live a little.."

I ate one and had a few more. My mom sat at the end of my bed and she said, "I never got the chance to congratulate you both.. I'm very excited to be a grandma to your baby."

"Thanks mom.." I said as she hugged me

A few hours later, I was being released from the hospital. Patrick drove me back home and he took me inside. Auston's family was gone and so were Patrick's sisters. My dad came and he hugged me and he said, "I'm so happy that you and the baby are okay.."

Patrick sat by me on the couch and he said, "You need to relax.."

"I will, you need to go get on a plane to meet the team in Colorado for tomorrow's game."

"I'm not leaving you.." He said

"Patrick, look at how many people are here. We'll be okay..."  I said putting my hand my stomach

"Are you sure?" He asked

"Patrick, we will take care of her. You go.." His mom said smiling

Patrick said goodbye to everyone and he came to me last. He hugged me and he said, "Take care of our baby and yourself. Call me if you need me to come home or just want to talk.."

"I promise, I will.."

Patrick put his hand on my stomach and he said, "Hey baby Kane, you need to be good and keep growing big and strong. Daddy loves you so much.."

Patrick kissed my stomach and looked into my eyes and he said, "I love you..r little baby bump.."

"I love it too.." I said

Patrick left and I couldn't believe what just happened. Patrick totally told me he loved me, but had to cover it up.. Pretty sure everyone else in the room caught that too.

"You guys don't all need to stay. Mom, dad, you need to get back to work and Court and Ryan need to get back to school. Allison needs to get back to her family.."

"I'll stay with her.." Donna said

My parents gave in and we said our goodbyes and they all got in their car and left. Donna came and sat with me on the couch and she asked, "Can I get you anything?"

"I'm okay, thanks.."

We started watching some TV show on Netflix and just binge watched it all day.

Patrick texted me that he landed in Colorado and was with the team. I told Donna and said, "Ever since my son met you, he's changed in the best way possible. Thank you.."

"Really?" I asked

"He was a young boy who partied all the time and only cared about hockey.. Now, you come before everything else and so does his family."

Donna made dinner and then I went to take a shower. I came out and we continued to watch our show. 

Around 9pm, I went to bed and I laid there and couldn't fall asleep. It was now midnight..

I decided to text Patrick: Are you busy?

Patrick: No, what's up?

Me: I can't sleep..

Patrick facetimed me and he was laying in his hotel bed. 

We were just talking and he asked how Auston was..

FLASHBACK:

It was Thanksgiving and Auston was in Chicago. He was at Patrick's place as my family was staying at my place. 

"So why am I here and not at your place?" Auston asked me

"We need to talk.." Patrick said

"About what?"

"I'm pregnant!" I said

Auston looked shocked and he smiled and Patrick said, "It's my baby.."

Auston stood up and said, "You fucking slut!"

"Hey! DO NOT speak to the woman carrying my baby like that." Patrick said standing up and getting in his face

"When? Where? How?" Auston asked sitting down

"Well it happened the usual way.. " Patrick said rolling his eyes

"It happened before we got back together. I'm like two months already.." I said

"Oh wow... So you are keeping the baby?" Auston asked

"Of course we are.." I said 

"I mean it happened before we were together so whatever.." Auston said

"Whatever?" Patrick questioned

"It will be fine. Once the baby is born, Patrick will have custody and can retire.." Auston spoke

"First of all there is no custody of our child... Second, Patrick isn't retiring." I said

"How are you guys going to take care of a baby when your job requires you to travel all the time?"

"We are going to make it work.." Patrick said

"Fine, I really don't care.." Auston said

END OF FLASHBACK

I kept talking to Patrick on the phone and I said, "I can't believe we're actually having a baby.."

"Neither can I.." He said

We talked for hours and I finally fell asleep.