chapter 50

Ashley's POV:

Patrick said, "Well, this was after about three days of you being in Chicago. I called my grandpa and told him that I really liked this girl and he excited to hear that I finally actually liked someone."

Patrick continued, "Then he asked how I really felt and I explained that I was being an ass because I didn't want to be in love, but I was so in love and it was driving me crazy. He paused and he said, 'you are my grandson and the world is going to think it's messed up and people won't understand.. tell her how you feel, fuck the rules... if you love this girl, make her yours'"

I was smiling and laughing and I asked, "So he supported this?"

"This became the highlight of this day, asking me if I told you that I loved you.." He said

He paused and he said, "I never told him before he was gone.."

"He is looking down and he's the happiest.." I said

I grabbed Patrick's hand and he said, "I know he is.."

Lauren started to cry and I crawled into the backseat so I could give he a bottle. I sat in the back and gave her the bottle and then we stopped so I could change her.

I came back out and now I was going to drive.

I pulled into the long gated driveway of our house and I took Lauren in and got her in bed and Patrick unpacked everything. I started laundry and I laid in bed looking at my engagement ring.

Patrick came to bed and he laid down and asked, "What are you thinking about?"

"Our future.." I said smiling

I kissed Patrick and he said, "Goodnight, I love you.."

"I love you too.." I said

I woke up the next morning and we headed to practice. I brought the baby with and Jamie watched her while I was on the ice. We had a team meeting after practice. Everyone showered and got food and sat in the film room, which was laid out like a movie theatre. I made a bottle for Lauren and Patrick grabbed her and the bottle and he fed her while Q went over film for our game tomorrow night against the Avalanche.

Everyone was looking at Patrick and Duncs said, "I can't believe our little Kaner has grown up.."

Everyone laughed and I couldn't help but look at Patrick. The baby made him even hotter.

An hour later, film was over and Patrick stood up with a sleeping baby in his arms.

He carried Lauren to her carseat and he buckled her in and picked up the carseat.

He picked up the carseat and I grabbed my purse and the diaper bag and Patrick grabbed my hand. We walked out to the car and he drove us home.

I put Lauren in her swing and Patrick went out with some of the guys and I made dinner.

I cleaned and played with Lauren and then ate dinner. I had everything put away and I gave Lauren a bath and got her ready for bed. I looked at my daughter laying in her crib and I couldn't believe she was actually mine and Patrick's.

Patrick returned home late and I woke up and asked, "Were you drinking?"

"We were, but I only had two.." He said laying down beside me

The next couple of days passed and Patrick was at a game in Ohio and I stayed home because I was sick and so was the baby.

However, the doorbell rang around one in the morning and I checked the cameras and it was Auston.

I called him..

"What are you doing at my house?" I asked

"We need to talk about the wedding... You embarrassed me.. You ruined my life.." Auston spoke slurring his words

"Auston, you're drunk.. Leave before I call the cops."

"I'm not going anywhere, unlike you. You left me.. You chose Patrick.. I'm not leaving until you pick me... I will love you and your daughter.. You don't need Patrick.. You need me.." Auston said

I hung up and I called the police. They showed up and they took Auston. I requested a restraining order.

It was really late and I went to bed. Patrick came home the next morning and he asked, "How were things?"

"I hate when I'm here alone.. Auston showed up drunk and I had to call the police.."

I told Patrick the whole story and he said, "I hate that kid.."

"I'm sorry I went back to him.." I said feeling guilty

"Why'd you do it?" Patrick asked having zero clue on why

"I thought that you were going to propose to Olivia... So I went back to Auston. You hate Auston, but you hate me with him more than you hate him.. I wanted you to realize you wanted me and that one way or another you'd be the man who stood up at my wedding and objected to the marriage and I'd ran down the aisle to your arms and we'd live happily ever after..." I said

Patrick laughed and I said, "I know, it's pathetic.."

"No... It did make my blood boil knowing you were with him and not me, but I was doing the same thing with Olivia.. I'm glad things worked out, but we can't use other people to make each other jealous.. I mean I almost married Brianna and you almost married Auston.."

"I promise, better communication and we never leave... No matter how hard things get.."

"Me too.." Patrick said kissing me

The next couple of weeks passed and we were on an awful losing streak. Patrick and I didn't have that chemistry on the ice anymore.