chapter 49

Ashley's POV:

I woke up in bed with Patrick and he kissed me.

"Wow, I've missed you.." He said

"I read the letter.." I said

"The letter?" He questioned

I rolled over and pulled the letter out of the frame. "It was a complete accident that I found it, but I read it during your day with the cup."

"I totally forgot about it." He said as he read it

A few minutes later, he looked at me and said, "I still mean everything I wrote back then."

I kissed him and I said, "We should go to your parents.."

We both got up and got ready. Patrick was driving over there and we went inside. Most people were up.

"How's the newly engaged couple?" Jess asked

"We're perfect." Patrick said holding my hand

I went and grabbed Lauren from my mom and asked, "How was she last night?"

"She only got up once.."

Patrick came over and I handed her to him.

I helped Donna finish making breakfast. Everyone came down and ate and then we started doing presents.

"So, Greece got delayed because of the baby being too young to travel out of the country. We will be going over the all-star break again." Patrick said

Everyone was super excited!

We spent lots of time opening presents and taking pictures. We went the entire day together as a family and Patrick pulled me aside and asked, "Can we go tell my grandpa?"

"Yeah, do you want me to leave Lauren here?" I asked

"Yeah, it's cold out.." He said

I told Donna we would be back and Patrick drove to the cemetery and we got out.

"Hey grandpa, Merry Christmas.." Patrick said

He looked at me and he held my hand.

"We have some exciting news, we're engaged. I'm sorry that I probably disappointed you by giving her grandma's ring and then letting her go too many times.. I always knew she was the one.. I wish you were here.. You'd love Ashley.."

I hugged Patrick and he was crying. We stood there for a few seconds and he looked at me and he said, "Grandpa, you going to heaven was one of the worst things that's also happened in my life, but it was also one of the best. I miss you like crazy, everyday, but the minute you were gone, you sent Ash to me and I will thank you for that everyday.."

I looked at Patrick and I said, "For the record, I always thought you were hot.. I just never though that I had a chance with you. You were in your late twenties, I was still a teenager, not even a legal adult. You treated me like I was a stupid teenager.. I thought you hated me.. Which really sucked because I was falling for you.."

Patrick laughed and he said, "You've never told me that before.."

I kissed him and I said, "I never thought that I'd be engaged to you and that we'd have a daughter.."

"Neither did I.. You know I acted that way because I was in love with you, right?"

"You told me that and I honestly never believed you could love me.."

"How could I not? You are one in a million... Yeah, you're a good hockey player and you are the most beautiful girl in the world, but you are the kindest person with the biggest heart."

"You're too sweet.." I said

"I love you Ashley, I can't wait for you to be my wife.." He said

"I love you too... I can't wait till you are my husband." I said kissing him

"Do you want to get married in Greece on a beach?" Patrick asked

"Seriously, you stalked my Pinterest.." I said laughing

"I did.." He admitted with a smile

"That sounds amazing if I was marrying anyone else.. I want to get married in Buffalo, in the winter, on the pond your grandpa brought you to... It was where we first kissed, where you gave me the ring, where you prosed.. It should be where we get married.."

"I guess that's kinda our spot now.." He said

"I guess it is.." I said kissing Patrick

He broke the kiss and said, "I can't believe we leave tomorrow.."

"I know, but back to our crazy beautiful life." I said

"When are we telling the world that you're gonna be my wife?" Patrick asked

"After we tell the team.." I said

"They're gonna freak!" He said

Before we knew it, we were saying goodbye to our family.

I got into the driver seat and I said, "That was one of the hardest goodbyes ever..."

I wiped my tears and pulled out of the driveway.

"Where are you going?" Patrick asked when he realized I wasn't heading towards Chicago

"To say goodbye to your grandpa.." I said

A few minutes later, I got our baby out and held her in my arms and I held Patrick's hand. He grabbed our daughter and put is arm around me.

"Hey grandpa, we are heading back to Chicago now and we just stopped to say goodbye and that we love you.." Patrick said

"Thank you so much for being such an amazing grandpa to your grandson.. I wish I would have gotten to meet you.." I said

Patrick looked at me and he said, "When I first looked at you, I knew I loved you and he was the very first person I called."

"What did he say?" I asked looking at Patrick

Patrick kissed my head and he said, "I'll tell you on the drive home."

He grabbed Lauren's hand and said, "Wave bye-bye to your great grandpa"

My heart broke and Patrick kissed me and we got back in the car, this time, Patrick was driving.

He put his hand on my thigh and he headed towards Chicago.

"What did your grandpa say when you told him?" I asked dying to find out

Patrick looked at me and he laughed, smiled and he began the story.