Chapter One

Smoke. I could smell smoke, and a lot of it.
Then there came the screams. People were starting to panic.

I watched from two buildings over as an apartment complex was on fire. I shook my head as the heroes all scattered trying to round up the civilians. 

Did they not notice the screaming from the building?

Quickly, I leap from the building I was watching from. I closed my eyes and held my arms up to my face as I slammed into the window of the top level of the building. Flames surrounded me on every side, but they had zero affect against me.

"Help! Please, help me!" I heard a woman screaming. I made my way to another room, dodging falling debris as best as I could. When I found my way into what used to be an office room, I saw the woman trapped underneath a filing cabinet and a desk. 

"M-my leg!" She cried out. I rushed over to the woman, kneeling beside her. My eyes narrowed as I saw her leg was being bound down by the back part of the desk.

"Hold still! I'll get you free." I assured the woman as I crawled to the back of the desk and started punching the wood to break it down. I had many skills, but brute strength wasn't one of them.

Finally after a few moments, her leg was free. I crawled out from underneath the desk and pulled her away before the filing cabinet finally collapsed onto the desk, crushing it to bits and pieces.

"Are you alright?" I asked the woman. She was coughing and having a hard time breathing. "I-I don't think I can stand.." She said as tears formed in her eyes. "It's alright. I won't leave you here." I quickly picked her up, hoisting her up as much as I could while making it out of the burning building.

Dodging falling debris as best as I could while holding onto the woman, we finally made it out. People started cheering as they saw me exiting with a civilian.

"Medic! She needs a medic!" A voice of one of the heroes yelled. He made his way over to me, taking the woman from me. "You did a good job, who are you?" The hero asked as he passed the woman off to the medic team.

I brushed the soot off my clothes, just now noticing that bits and pieces were burnt off. "Nobody. Just passing by." I told him in a casual tone.

"Wait! Stay put! I have questions for you!" He said, but reporters started flooding the scene and he had gotten distracted from you. I took this chance to make my exit quietly. After all, I wasn't a pro hero. I didn't have authority to perform this rescue. However, I knew that woman would have died if nobody else was going to take action.

I soon found myself in a dark alley. I leaned against the cold brick of a building just a few blocks from the scene. "Damn. Came pretty close to being noticed." I started to laugh lightly at myself as I wiped my face off. I had so much soot all over me.

"You did a really good job. None of those other heroes thought about jumping in that building." A deep voice echoed out from the entrance of the alley. It startled me. I jumped up, getting in a fighting stance, ready to plow down whoever followed me.

"Relax. I'm not here to fight." The skinny man held his hands up, showing he had no interest in fighting.

"Who are you?" I asked him. I didn't let my guard down. I knew better than that.

"You wouldn't believe me even if I told you." He said as he scratched the back of his neck. The first thing I noticed was his odd choice of clothing. He wore very baggy clothes, for a man of his size. Was he trying to be gangster? He's too old for that.

"Just call me Toshinori." He said as he approached me, holding his hand out. I looked at him, confused. "My name is (Y/N)." I took his hand, shaking it, but still on guard.

"How old are you?" He asked. 

"15, why?"

"Do you have any parents? Or family? Even a place to stay?" He asked as he noticed my clothes. Sure, they had soot on them, but they were already filthy even beforehand. 

"Does it matter?" I asked him, looking away.

"Listen. I think.. I think you should come with me." He said, turning around and walking away.

I didn't know why, but I followed him. A small part of me felt like I could trust this man. Only a little bit, anyways.

~~~~~~~~~~

YAY CHAPTER ONE.
I hope it was o k a y.

I am a nervous wreck teehee.