Chapter twenty two

When Issac came downstairs the next morning he wouldn't talk to hazel or cal. He just came downstairs and got a juice box and then walked upstairs.

"Will you go check on him while I make breakfast?" Cal nodded and walked upstairs.

He knocked on the door. "Issac?" All he heard was soft crying, so he opened the door and walked inside. The second issac saw him he panicked and screamed.

"Go away!!"

"Can I talk to you?" Issac shook his head. "Please??" He shook his head again. "Would you talk to mommy?" Again he shook his head. "Would you talk to anyone?" Issac sighed and shook his head yet again. "Do you want some alone time?"

This time he nodded. Can told him he loved him and Issac said "You're scary..."

"What?" Can turned around

"You scared mama...."

"Did...did I scare you?" He nodded. "Gosh bud I'm so sorry...I didn't mean to." Issac didn't answer so cal just walked downstairs. When he got there hazel was drinking a bottle of beer. "Haze..?" She looked at him. "Put it down, it scares your son..."

She put it down on the counter. "Our son..."

Calum nodded. "It scares him." She nodded. "Come here." Hazel didn't go to him, he frowned.

Cal watched hazel make a pancake for Issac and then she cut it up and handed the plate to cal. "Take that to issac." Cal just set it on the counter. "Calum."

"No... he hates me, you do it."

"I have to make OUR pancakes."

"I'll make them."

"For fucks same Calum." She took the plate and walked upstairs.

She opened the door. "Here's your pancakes bud..."

Issac took them. "Mama...daddy's scary."

"Yeah." She nodded. "Sometimes he can be..."

"I wish lukey was my daddy." He took a bite of pancake.

hazel shook her head. "no you don't because without your daddy you wouldn't be here." She pinched his cheek. "so you better love your daddy" Issac just shrugged and ate

"Well I love your daddy even when he's scary."

"Will cj And Alice be smelly?"

They continued to talk for a bit and cal sat downstairs alone. All of a sudden he heard Issac scream "NO I WANT A DIFFERENT DADDY I DONT LIKE THIS DADDY!!!"

Calums heart broke. His heart fucking shattered. His baby didn't want him.... so he grabbed a few of his things and decided to go for a walk. He needed to clear his head and he needed air.
———
He got back later and hazel and Issac were napping on the couch. When cal opened the door issac sat up.

He whispered "hi daddy..."

"Hi..." as much as cal didn't want to he felt a little remorse towards his son right now.

"Where ya go?"

"Around the block a few times that's all..."

As cal finished his sentence hazel sat up and rubbed her eyes.

"Hey baby..." she nodded and smiled very briefly before her face fell again. All she did was get up and go to the kitchen to get some water.

As she was getting a glass of water cal walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her. "I'm sorry for everything..." was all cal mumbled. He truly was sorry. Sorry for leaving all that time ago and sorry life had been the way it had been.

"Why did you run off..."

"Issac said..." cal trailed off

"Said what?"

"He doesn't like me..."

"Calum he's three. He has mood swings, but he will always love you."

"He said he wants a different dad....he's scared of me..." hazel sighed.

"Go see him, cal." He looked up and shook his head.

"He doesn't wanna see me."

"Go cal."

So cal went up to issacs room and sat on the floor next to him where he was playing. "Hey bud...."

"Hi dad..." issac didn't look up from his toys

"You okay?" Cal asked. He nodded.

"You okay daddy?" Issac looked up.

"Yeah bud...I guess I just wanted to hang out with you." Issac smiled and nodded and continued to play. He leaned up against cals side while playing. "Issac are you happy?"

"I'm tired." He answered quietly

"But are you happy?" Issac shrugged.

"Dunno..."

Cal frowned. "You wanna talk about it??"

"No."

"I love you..." cal just hoped he knew how fucking much he truly did love him. Without saying anything issac just picked up his room. "Wanna go get some icecream?" He shook his head.

"Not hungry..."

"Well...did you have breakfast?" He nodded. "That's good..." cal watched issac take out a crayon and a piece of paper and draw some random lines. "What's that??"

"Dogs."

"That's so cool bud."

"I want a puppy. Bud mama said no..."

"Wanna know a secret?"

"Yeah." He never looked up from his drawing

"Mama and I used to have six dogs."

"I know 'bout duke."

"Yes duke.."

"Mama sold him."

"Yeah...." cal sighed softly. Neither of them spoke for a few moments and cal decided it was a good time to leave. He got up, walked back downstairs and sat on the couch.

"How'd it go?" Hazel asked from the kitchen where she was cooking

"Fine."

"Just fine?" She walked over and sat next to cal, wrapping her arm around him.

"Just fine" cal answered. Hazel asked if cal wanted to help make lunch and he shrugged.

"You can make issacs sandwich."

"I don't know what he likes so..." hazel nodded and walked back to the kitchen leaving cal alone with his thoughts. He sighed.

A bit later issac came down to show hazel his drawing. She flipped out at how cute and good it was and hung it up on the fridge. Cal got up and walked slowly to the kitchen just wanting to be with his family.

He noticed himself starting to feel....dark again...distant and dark...and sad...

Sad for what reason tho? Cal had no idea. He had his family with him...his son was with him...he was about to be the father of two more kids...so why was he sad...