Chapter thirty three

-one year later-

The year had been just so....nothing tragic happened but nothing exciting either for both cal and hazel. Not a single day went by where cal didn't think of issac and the twins. He missed them so much. God He bet they were so beautiful and handsome and big right now....he bet issac could read by now and the twins were probably walking or maybe even saying a few words. But he'd never find out. He didn't get to know. He didn't get to be happy, he didn't get to find love ever ever again. He never stopped loving hazel....he never could. And every time he was with someone else she was all he could think about. Cal hadn't been in any relationships the last year, it was just sex. A lot of sex. Sex with anyone who would let him. Sex with anyone who caught his eye even for a second.

One day he was walking in the park smoking a cigarette. He didn't notice hazel and the kids until she walked over and said something...

"Calum?" He turned around and then froze. Hazels hair was long now, and issacs was too...the twins...well they were huge...and unrecognizable. They were beautiful, just like Calum had thought they would be. Issac was getting tall. He was gonna be tall.

"What're you doing here?" Calums voice was deep and crackly

"Just letting the kids get some energy out..." cal looked at Alice who was holding her little arms out to Calum

"Can I?" Calum asked to hold her and hazel nodded and handed her to him. She looked up at him with big brown eyes. She really looked like hazel, with her brown hair and pretty tan skin. Cal smiled

"Wanna hold cj?" Cal nodded and put Alice on one hip and he'd his arm out for cj. Hazel put him in cals arms.

He gushed over their teeth and how different they looked. Cj has blonde hair and grey-blue eyes and gorgeous eye lashes. But soon cal was handing them back to hazel. "I should go.."

"We should go out for dinner?" She put the twins in the stroller.

"That's not a good idea, hazel..."

"Why not?"

"It's just not..."

"Please?"

"I don't have any money."

"I'll pay."

"I can't-"

"Please!" Calum finally agreed and they walked together to a cafe.

It was awkward to say the least. Cal made sure to order the cheapest thing off the menu. He stayed silent and looked from hazel to Issac and to the twins and then back to hazel. What is the right thing to say when your ex invites you to dinner with your three kids who you never thought you'd see again?

"E-excuse me for a second..." cal stood up and made his way to the restroom where he peed, splashed his face with cold water and then went back to the table and sat down. They all started eating as the food had gotten there. It was obvious that hazel was trying to get closer to Calum for whatever reason. She would tangle their feet together or want to wipe things off his face, and Calum was to be honest pretty uncomfortable. It wasn't hazel...just that she had always been the one to cause him heartbreak and this time he was scared. This time he wasn't gonna get close to her again. Because he was done being hurt over and over and over again.

As they were sitting there eating in silence hazel handed Calum a piece of paper under the table. He took it and opened it up;

'I miss you'

Cal looked at hazel. He didn't know what to say.

Eventually hazel took the kids and left the cafe, leaving cal sitting there by himself.

He drank too much that night and ended up drunk texting some friends of his. Cals night ended with sex. Sex with someone he didn't know or care about. Hell, it wasn't even good sex.

———

Weeks went by without another word from hazel. It's like she forgot, and Calum wouldn't have blamed her if she did anyway since he himself was also trying to block that dinner out of his memory.

As cal sat there one day on his phone he got a reminder:

'Issacs birthday, next week.'

That's right, Issac was gonna be four...four years old. God, he was so handsome....all Calum wanted was to see his baby again so he swallowed his massive amounts of pride and texted hazel. 'Will issac be having a birthday party this year?' And he anxiously waited for a reply, Which he ended up getting quite quickly.

'Yes, Tuesday at 10am at my place. Hope to see you there...'

He would definitely be there but not for hazel. For issac. And right now he needed to go out and get issac the best birthday present in the entire world.

He ended up getting issac a really cool black, white and orange bicycle! Even if issac already had one surely this one was cooler plus if he didn't know how to ride Calum was gonna teach him, and if he did then....well he probably didn't.

Calum showed up the day of the party with the present. Hazel opened the door and danced around on her toes, something she didn't when she was trying to hide her happy. Issac gasped as soon as he saw the present and begged cal to put it down. He did and Issac opened it and gasped. "Thanks daddy!"

"You're welcome bud."

"Hey cal..." hazel walked to the kitchen and motioned for cal to follow her, and he did. They stood in the kitchen together...

"I missed you too" said Calum, in regards to the note hazel had given him at the cafe.

"Kiss me..." hazel got closer to cal and he stared at her with wide eyes.

"K-kiss you?" She nodded and pressed her lips to Calums. Cal let his eyes flutter closed and he leaned into the kiss.

After a moment hazel pulled away and they smiled at each other