46

Asher's P.O.V.

I could not sleep at all last night. I kept going though what happened with Annie. What I said to her.

What I did to her.

Why am I such a fucking idiot?

I don't even know why I even kept on asking her questions? I just couldn't stop. I want to know everything there is to know about her and in the process I hurt her.

It was all my fault.

And I can't even talk to Will or Carson about it because I can't tell them without Annie's permission and she won't answer my calls.

I got dressed and went down the stairs and was about to go out to my car when I heard my phone buzz.

It was Annie.

Annie💕:
I'm gonna ride in with Lilia this morning xo

"Fuck!" I muttered to myself and slammed my fist on the wall.

"Asher!" My mom scolded looking at me.

I just shook my head and walked outside and got into my car. I put my arms in the steering wheel and rested my head on it.

I sat there for a few minutes and the drive to school. I went right to Annie's locker and I saw her and the girls walked away once Sydney saw me.

I clenched my jaw as I walked over to Jack and Luke. Luke had is arms crossed and he looked pissed and Jack stood there awkwardly.

"Do you guys know where Anni—" I started to asked but Luke cut my off.

"That's not gonna happen bud. So just turn around and go walk back to your perfect life and just forget that you ever met us." Luke said taking a step closer to me.

I looked down for a second, "No." I said and looked up into his eyes. "No I won't. I want to talk to Annie about it all." I stated.

"And what is 'it all'?" He asked clenching his jaw.

"Her brother." I said and glanced at Jack and he was just leaning on the lockers not getting in between all this like he does a lot with other things.

"Oh, her brother," Luke said in a sarcastic tone, nodding and put his hand to his chin, "and why makes you think you have the right to know anything about that?" He wondered.

I opened my mouth to answer be he didn't let me, "Let me ask you a few questions, 'Mr. Popular'. We're you there with us when it happened? Did you cry with us? Did you have to take counseling after it? Did Annie?" Luke began and I tried to answer but he kept on going.

"What was his favorite number? Color? Who were his friends? Was he older? Was he younger? What disease did he die from?" Luke stopped and stared down at me.

"I-um, I don't know." I confessed looking down.

"Here's an easy one. What's his name?" He said and I just closed my eyes and shook my head.

"And what about you're girlfriend who you allegedly care so much about? What's her favorite color? Number? Season? Sport? Animal? Be-" Luke went on but I piped in.

"Elephants." I blurted out.

"Well look at that, you got one." He said with a fake smiling and hit me in the arm.

"Out of how many though? See ya never 'Mr. Popular'." Luke said and walked away and hit my should with his as we walked past me and I just leaned against the lockers and banged my head on the lockers a few times. I turned my head and looked at Jack and he just stared back.

"This is the most quiet you've been since I met you." I said and looked back up at the ceiling.

"I'm not good at contributing to this conversation with all of them." He said and I nodded.

"Just know that, him and Luke... they were best friends. Practically brothers. Outside of the family it hit him the hardest. Just keep that in mind." Jack said and walked away.

I just let out a breath trying to collect my thoughts.

_____________________________

The whole day went by and Annie was ignoring me and it made me feel like absolute shit.

As I've been feeling a lot lately.

And don't even get me on how Luke has been treating me. Just, the whole day has been off and I've tried to talk to Annie but she just wouldn't have it.

Now it's basketball practice and I went out to the water fountain in the middle of it and I looked down that hall and saw Annie at her locker.

I walked over to her and said her name, "Annie." And I guess it scared her because she hit her head on the top of her locker.

"Ow." She said putting her hand on the back of her head.

I bit my lip nervously.

"Oh, god, I'm so sorry Annie." I said and she looked up.

"No, no, I'm fine Asher." She said shaking her head and stood up.

"Not just about that though. I'm really sorry about last night. I shouldn't have..." I started to say looking down and I saw a picture of Annie and a boy in her locker.

She kicked it shut but I saw it.

He looked just like her

God, it's her brother.

He can't be more the 9 years old...

"I'm sorry, that I pushed you to talk about it. But I wanna know more about you. Your life. Your past." I said looking back down into her eyes

"I know that, but I just not ready to talk about it. You should understand that the most. What would you say if I asked about your dad?" She asked crossing her arms.

"I'd tell you, I trust you enough to talk openly about to. Don't you trust me?" I asked staring at her.

"It's not about trust. I'm just not comfortable talking about yet." Annie said looking down and I saw a tear roll down her cheek and she closed her eyes.

I went closer to her and hugged her. After a second she hugged me back and I smiled. "But when you're ready you'll talk to me about it?"

"Yes."

____________________________

Guys, I'm sorry to do this but I'm gonna take a little break from this book and collect my thoughts and all that. But don't worry.

It won't be that long and I hope you all understand.

Love you all💜🦔🌻