Chapter 1

As she ran through the palace grounds, all she could hear was the clash of swords and screams of agony.

Her breaths were heavy and sweat present on her face.

Turning at the corner, she found a quiet place.

There was no one.

Without another second to spare, she quickly went in and shut the doors. She did all she could to contain her pants. Those eyes were stricken with utter fear that crept upon her.

Then, slow and quiet footsteps came. Her hands came over her mouth to further seal her sounds.

Looking through the crack of the door, she saw a man covered in black clothes. In one hand held a sword and in the other, held the gem ripped off her dress.

He swore to kill her.

Her body began to shake profusely and lips trembled.

"Your Highness," the man called.

A cold sweat overcame her.

"You must join your brothers and sisters. The others will come soon." he finished.

Who would've thought that someone she trusted so much would turn against her even when he knew it would break her.

~

"Your Highness," a female servant called the 7th princess, Wen Yue for the third time.

She was looking out below from the balcony of her palace. Although she heard her calls, she did not answer. The princess was in a daze, not quite present.

"Yue," a man's voice then came instead.

Finally, she came out of her trance and looked towards the direction of that voice.

Her eyes settled, becoming relaxed as a short smile formed on her lips, "Xin," 

He was her half brother, the 4th prince Wen Xin.

The young man came towards her, "Why the long face?" he asked.

Once he reached her, he pulled out a chair for himself.

Her brows scrunched and a frown came about. She didn't answer him with eyes lowering.

He knew exactly why she made that face but didn't want to remind her of it. Instead, he brought up that.

He sighed, "Are you worried that you're now of age?" he joked making the air lighten.

She hit him with a scowl on her face, "Don't even mention it."

Her birthday having been just days ago, of course she's worried.

It was tradition within the Wei Kingdom that at eighteen, it was most suitable for daughters to marry. Deemed to be their most vibrant stage in life, their beauty flared.

"Don't worry, I think father will let you stay for a while longer since you're the only princess left in the palace." he said motioning at how her sisters have been married off to allied countries.

Some however, never saw the light of day again.

She chuckled faintly, "I hope so."

"Anyways, did you fix the strings on your guqin?" he asked.

It was on her birthday that she was granted a new one. Her stringed instrument was crafted by one of the most sought after luthiers in the Four Kingdoms.

Just as she was playing a piece for her family, she suddenly heard a voice at the back of her mind that chilled her. This caused for her to pull at her strings with force, breaking it. Her fingers bled from the outcome.