Chapter 27

"HIS HIGHNESS, THE 4TH PRINCE, FEI YANG HAS RETURNED!!!" a servant announced loud and clear at the entrance gates of the Jin Kingdom's palace.

A drum sounded, as the group marched through the entrance signaling others of the return of the gallant prince.

Guards and soldiers bowed at every corner the moment they saw him. The prince would just give a nod, honoring their grace towards him.

Right by his side, was Princess Wen Yue on her horse.

This gained attention from others, seeing such a beautiful young maiden by the prince's side.

The Wei princess gulped nervously, as her eyes looked about the countless eyes that watched them. However, she kept herself composed and looked ahead. She couldn't let them see her from inside.

She took a deep breath, releasing the feelings of anxiety. Just then, she felt the gentle touch of another wrapping around her hand. Looking to the owner of that touch, her eyes perked seeing that it was him who held them.

The prince did not look at her but assured her with his actions.

She expressed a frowned smile with eyes casted down.

As long as he's here, she will never be alone. That is something he swore to himself.

In the grand hall, sat the king, Fei Jian of the Jin Kingdom and the Crown Prince, Fei Huan, the 3rd son of the king and heir to the throne. Before them, bowed Prince Fei Yang and the sole princess of the Wei Kingdom, Wen Yue.

"Greetings father." Fei Yang greeted then his older brother.

His betrothed also bowed to the two but did not say a word. She was to not speak unless they spoke to her.

The king raised his hand, acknowledging his son's words then turned his attention to the maiden.

"So you asked for the Wei Kingdom's princess' hand in marriage." a statement. "I hope you're not doing this to overtake your brother." the king seemed to warn.

This raised a brow on Crown Prince Fei Huan hearing his father. He couldn't believe he was making assumptions, a treacherous one at that.

Fei Yang lowered his head, "Of course not father." just one sentence was enough for the Crown to clear all misunderstandings.

"Very well," the king then turned his gaze to her again. "Princess Wen Yue, do you comply to this marriage?" it was a question but felt like an order.

She came down to her knees and bowed, pledging allegiance to the engagement. "Yes, Your Majesty." her eyes shut tight.

Once those words left her lips, she was no longer able to break free from the chains of her destiny. She now belonged to the Jin Kingdom and their 4th prince.

The Crown Prince stood from his seat and took a look at the princess observing her. "Princess Wen Yue, do not even believe for a moment that this marriage is because Fei Yang fancies you. It is only to secure our bond with the Wei Kingdom. You are simply the gift for us saving your kingdom." he destroyed her hope of being at peace.

Wen Yue bit the inside of her lip but did not once waver. Again, she bowed with her head to the ground, "Yes, Your Highness."

Her eyes shut tight as tears tried to escape.

"I'm being used again."

Fei Yang couldn't help but to clench his fists noticing her despair caused by his brother's words. He kept his composure but could not do anything. Between the three bloods, he had the least power.

"Yang, take her to your palace. Your wedding shall take place within 7 days time." he told his son.

Bowing to his father he took his words. "Yes father."

His eyes became overrun with concern and held his hand out to help her stand. However, she ignored him and left to the outside without him.

He stood there as though he were frozen. The king and the Crown Prince simply sat, not concerned for what just happened.

The 4th prince's eyes shook as he then also left the hall and to her who was now torn apart.

Maybe the trust she broke, was never there after all. It was her trust that she placed in him that was broken this very moment. With no one to assure her, she now closed her heart that used to believe in so much.

The heart that held hope only to be left open for others to take.

As the pair walked back to Fei Yang's Night Palace, all there was, was silence. Not one talked to another.

Fei Yang was in front of her leading the way, while she followed from behind. The tension became great bringing a wave of misunderstandings.

Then, sniffles and cries entered his ears. This alerted him at her state but did not look back.

Wen Yue's face became covered in tears of nothing left to place hope in. What she heard today, became what the vulnerable her inside to believe, those horrible words by the Crown Prince.

That no one will ever treasure her but only be used as something to please others.

"Maybe Ju Ning was right......this is only a duty that I must fulfill. My duty is to be the bridge of peace between our kingdoms and the gift of their grace towards us. I am nothing more than this."

This was the reality she made herself believe; to cut any emotional ties that may weigh her down. The belief that no one here will treasure her but only herself.
.
.
.