Chapter 30

This early morning, sat Fei Yang in the bathhouse for the royals of the Night Palace. Steam rose from the warm waters that covered the prince from the chest down, as he sat at the side resting his back against the barrier.

Around him, were long thin white fabrics that hung from the ceiling. Whenever a warm breeze swept along the room, so would the cloth.

Heavily, he then sighed.

He wasn't able to come back to his palace last night, being busy with his reports and messages to send back to his troops he managed in various areas throughout the nation.

However, today was also the day he'd have to go to the borders and check the soldier cities where the troops lived.

It was absolutely exhausting but he did not complain.

Maybe if he was gone and not within her sight, she'd feel better. She wouldn't feel so afraid or frantic whenever she'd see him.

Fei Yang's eyes turned down, looking at the water. He stayed there for a while in thought of his feelings.

Faintly, he whispered to himself, "I'm hurting her so much."

He splashed the water onto his face, then stood leaving to dry himself.

Before he was to leave, he wanted to give her something.

Something important.

In Wen Yue's chambers of the Night Palace, sat her practicing embroidery. She was alone, having excused Lin for the day to have time to herself.

Her windows were also open, letting the sunlight enter her room. They touched everything they could reach, including her, illuminating the beauty she held.

She looked absolutely stunning by the touch of the rays.

On her clothing piece, sewn on so far was a red camellia adorned by the moon with clouds that gathered. All she had left to do was to add the deep green leaves that connected with the magnificent flower.

Just about to connect the outlined leaf to the flower stem, the needle pricked her finger resulting in pain. Quickly, she retracting her hand shaking it, as thought to rid of the uncomfortable feeling.

Pain was always different, especially when it was a sewing needle that entered your skin.

She then brought her finger to her lips and sucked on it. This was already the third time today that she did such a thing. In those times she did, she often was careless not thinking much in the moment. 

Then, a voice came, one she had been waiting for even if she wasn't exactly expecting.

"Wen Yue, are you there?" it was Fei Yang at the doors. "If you are, can I come in?" he asked

She was surprised by his arrival but regained her composure, "You may," she allowed and quickly shook off the pain.

The door slid open and closed revealing him, her husband.

Her eyes simply looked to him and so did his. The two stayed that way for a short while not exactly knowing what to do.

Wen Yue's gaze at some point turned away. She wanted to say something but nothing could come out.

Then, her eyes came to him again and saw that he was holding something very familiar to her.

Noticing that her attention was on what he held, he came closer and extended it out to her.

"I know that when we left, I told you, you wouldn't need anything." he somewhat frowned. "But I remembered that this was really what you needed to bring along." presenting her guqin he had ordered be brought to his kingdom.

She felt hesitant at first, but took hold of it. It had been so long since she touched her prized instrument. Now that she thought about it, she's yet to finish that song, the treasured song.

Her lips faintly curled into a smile at the sight of it, "Thank you," her voice soft.

Just seeing how happy she was, his heart warmed. He was glad that she was showing feelings of content.

Opening the cover, she took out her instrument and laid it on her lap. She truly missed the touch of this.

Knowing she felt better, he turned ready to leave. "I have to get going. I won't be back for a while since I must leave today to check the borders." he bid her goodbye on such a short notice.

Her expression changed, turning glum, "Come back safe.........please." those words were slow as she also seemed to beg him.

He bit the inside of his lip hearing her, "I promise you I will." he then left out the doors.

To find that he was leaving, made her feel bittersweet. She was happy to have gotten her instrument, but for him to leave and finding out the last minute caused her chest to ache.

Her eyes casted down and fingers came over her guqin. She didn't know why, but quickly she tuned it putting aside her embroidery to do later.

Once she finished, she placed her hands in position to play that song. Plucking it, the first note echoed loud and clear before continuing.

Her play was filled with such emotions she could only convey in this way. It was mixed with sadness, content, anger, hurt, pain, joy, peace, and long found love.

A love for which she couldn't say as she felt it wasn't hers to keep.

Unknowingly, tears slipped through her eyes and fell onto her instrument as she kept her play that sent woe.

Without even finishing the last note of her incomplete song, the string broke causing a halt to her melody.

She looked at it with tear-filled eyes then fell to the ground from where she sat with her guqin in hand.

Dreadfully, she cried with sobs escaping her lips and brows pressed together.

She cried not knowing the meaning of her song, the song she had been trying so hard to compose and understand, only to still be left in this pit of wandering thoughts. She didn't know the feelings mixed in her play and it pained her to be a stranger to them.

Just outside her doors, stood him. He heard everything from the moment he left the room.

His lips shook wanting to say something but kept to himself. Those glistening eyes of his were also ready to release the sorrow he felt from her.

However, holding it in he walked away. The promise to come back safe, is something he must do, not needed.

With all that he is, he will be there for her.

The Princess Wen Yue, his wife.
.
.
.