Chapter 28

"Your Highness, you look absolutely beautiful." Wen Yue's personal servant, Lin complimented.

The princess dressed in her rich red simply smiled, "Thank you, Lin."

Although she looked beautiful in the eyes of others, behind the veil was a solemn face.

This was the day she and her betrothed were to be tied forever, unable to part.

"Your Highness, is it alright if ask a question?" Lin asked.

Wen Yue nodded, "Of course."

Lin looked to hesitate, but asked anyways. "Are you okay?"

The bride's expression seemed to dim and her personal servant noticed this, making her eyes lower.

"I'm sorry, I'm just concerned about you, Your Highness..... You don't look happy about today." she noticed her behavior.

"No, you don't need to say sorry, and you're right. I really am not happy about today." the princess confirmed her worries.

Lin walked to stand before her and bowed, "Your Highness, I know I am not of your kingdom, but I assure you that I will follow you until death." vowing her loyalty and trust.

She looked at the woman who bowed before her then looked away. "Thank you......" Wen Yue spoke and the servant nodded.

"It's funny you know.... I really thought that if I left, I wouldn't be plagued by the dreadful memories filled with betrayal. Yet the moment I got here," tears began to escape her lovely eyes.

"I am told to not have any hope or believe in my betrothed." this was the true meaning behind the Crown Prince's words.

Wen Yue did not bother to wipe away her sorrows but let them drop to their demise. "I never thought that I, who placed hope in my prince, would be turned away by his own family." she was devastated.

"I'm not sure how to feel for anything from here on out." her voice broke.

Lin couldn't do anything but speak words of comfort to soothe her princess, whose mind was now in chaos.

Just at the doors of her chambers, stood a lone fellow. He too, was dressed in his rich red robes for tonight's occasion.

He only came to pass by her room but once he heard her speak, he stopped to listen.

Eventually, he walked away with slow, quiet steps when she was done. As he left, so did a part of him.

Time passed, and already the ceremony was almost over. All that was left was for the two to exchange their drinks, mixed with their essence.

It is customary in the Jin royal family, that when they marry, their drink of exchange is to have a drop of their blood mixed with the water of the Gold Spring Falls.

This is where their deity, Jinhai, was said to have laid to slumber. The waters were blessed by his Divine God to grant prosperity to marrying pairs of the royal family.

The drums then sounded, signaling them to exchange their cups.

As the marriage customs follow, they intertwined their arms with Fei Yang holding his cup to her under her veil and her to him.

They drank the liquid, sealing their life to one another. The two were now one, filling each other's empty half.

The drum sounded again, beating thrice, signifying the end of the ceremony and the start of the celebration.

The newly wedded pair sat at their own table decorated with the riches of red and gold. Many came and gone as they congratulated the two.

"I congratulate both Your Highnesses on your grand marriage." a mid-aged noble woman said to the two with a fan covering her face.