Chapter 21

Falling to her knees, Fei Yang rushed to the princess wrapping his arm around her. He looked at her worriedly because of the lies and what she's been told after being in the dark for so long.

"Wen Yue......." he called her.

She couldn't respond as she was in a state of shock as sobs escaped. It broke him that she was experiencing such a situation again, causing his heart to ache with dread.

Fei Yang clenched his teeth as he then snapped his head to Wen Xin.

"What is your purpose for all of this?! Why must you torment her? She's never done anything wrong." his voice filled with anger.

"Why?!" the one behind it all roared.

"Do you not get it yet? This, everything began the moment that worthless pig became king, my father."

The Jin prince listened with glaring eyes.

"Goodness, why was it that of all my siblings I was the only one without relatives or a mother?" he seemed to mock.

"Oh, I know. Maybe because the moment I was born I didn't look much like the king but instead my mother. The queen thought my mother had an affair with a servant which they believed was why I didn't look much like him. This was not true of course. However, once the king heard of this, they demanded my mother be banished along with me, a newborn. In an attempt to find my "real" father, they questioned the servants and to their dismay, they couldn't because there never was one. Then what happened? The king and queen having made a mistake ordered that those of my mother's family tree be killed in order to not feel the embarrassment of their actions and keep silence on the matter. I, on the other hand was spared, being the king's blood."

The Jin prince eyes turned into shock. He never knew how dark of a history this place held, and especially how rash the power of the crown was used.

"And how did I find out? Yue's mother having not been able to hold the guilt of knowing, told me everything just when I was about to turn eighteen." he then scoffed. "As much as I am thankful to her for telling me, I couldn't help but to later kill her son. He was going to ruin my plans."

"Then, won't you tell me your plans? What exactly are you going to do after everything is over Wen Xin?" Fei Yang asked.

The prince gave a devious smirk.

"Your Highness, is it really true what you're saying?" General Ju questioned as he cut down those who dared to kill them.

Wen Ling nodded, "Yes, Wen Xin caused all of this!" he confirmed.

General Ju's grip on his blade became tighter as he also knew that Wen Xin was responsible for his daughter's grave condition.

"Then there shall be no mercy! We must protect the crown." he seemed to growl.

Those under the General upon hearing him, fought harder with the troops they lead on the palace grounds.

Wen Ling took down another as he was then shot in his left arm by an arrow. Overcome by the pain, he stood for a moment as he reached for his injury.

His eyes looked to the direction where it came from.

Again, the archer readied his target. However, he then fell out of his sight as an arrow struck through his neck.

Looking to the one responsible, he was met with an unfamiliar man who stood a distance. This man seemed to also be leading a group.

The prince's breaths became heavy as the man went on to slay the offenders along with his men. General Ju noticing his injuries came to his side to protect him.

Although the numbers of Wen Xin's army weren't as great, they were talented in their own feats. However, these unknown men seemed to be on another level as if they were the elite.

"Your Highness, are you alright?" the General asked with worry

"I'm alright," he used his sword to support him. "We must fight even if death is the last moment."

The General nodded, "Your Highness, do you know those men?" as he took down another that came their way.

"No, but I have a pretty good idea of who they're under."

Fan He stood out of breath as he used his sword to keep his balance. Blood stains were present on his fine robes and beads of sweat fell from his face.

Just beside him, laid Yu He who clenched his large wound that couldn't stop bleeding.

Their battle ended long ago yet now they were under the shade of a willow tree. Fan He took him here having remembered something.

"Why did you bring me here?" Yu He tried to speak.

Fan He was silent for a moment allowing a rush of past memories to flood both their minds.

"This was Fan Ju's favorite place, and where you both met for the first time 13 years ago." he remembered having been there with them.

Yu He's eyes widen, then turned away with water beginning to flood his vision.

"Damn it." Yu He muttered to himself.

Tired from standing, Fan He sat beside his longtime rival. For the first time, he won a sword dual and yet this would be their last.

"You know....." Yu He listened as he spoke.

"Fan Ju.....she also loved you but she couldn't tell you. The day she realized, she excitedly told me about it. However, that was the same day the king ordered she'd be brought in." his face became mess as he tried to hold back his tears.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" Yu He asked.

"....She didn't want you to be hurt or burdened by the feelings she couldn't ever fully return."

Yu He fell apart the moment they reached his ears. Those tears he contained for so long broke through the hardened walls. He cried like a child as sobs escaped his lips.

To know that she too held the same feelings was a delight, but finding out years later when she was already gone hurt more than one could ever imagine.

Just hearing the man his dear cousin loved cry, made him emotional. He truly loved his cousin as a younger sister and when she left, so did his heart. Now with the man she loved in this state, brought him great pain as he was a special person to Fan Ju.

"Do you think Fan Ju will forgive me for what I've done?" he questioned with the last he had left of him.

"I'm sure she will." his voice broke.

Slowly, Yu He's hand reached to touch the willow tree. It were though he and Fan Ju have finally connected with one another.

His eyes shut as a sorrowful smile came on his lips having now known her feelings.

Minutes went by and it was then he knew.

Fan He shaking, stood from where he sat and pulled out a wooden box. Opening it, inside contained a dried yellow chrysanthemum that was kept inside a closed glass casing.

This, he always carried with him.

He took the dried flower from its confinement and placed it on top Yu He who now laid peacefully at long last from this turmoil that raged within him.

"She also told me to give this to you when the time was right." his words trailed.

The love that couldn't be returned long ago, has been given.

Although it took him eight years, he was glad, even if it was at the end of her love's life that he was to hand it. He didn't think the flower would last this long being so many years that passed.

He took one last look at the willow tree where Yu He laid to rest before he then walked away limping with streaming tears.

Deep down, Yu He was also one of his last friends but now he was gone along with Wen Chen.

At long last, Yu He could see her, the first and last woman he ever loved with his whole being.
.
.
.