Chapter 39

In the court hall, sat the king with Crown Prince Fei Huan at the side and officials who filled the room.

The Right Prime Minister stood at the center as he read a report that had just arrived from the borders after days of travel.

"Those who disturbed the borders are none other than the invaders of the Sha nation from beyond our Four Kingdoms from years ago. Once again have they been put to a stop by the gallant 4th Prince Fei Yang. With all matters now at rest, His Highness will be returning shortly."

The court officials talked amongst themselves of how courageous the prince was defending their country. He may not be the Crown Prince, a title he does not want, but he is the protector in the shadows of the kingdom.

He truly held pride as a carrier of the black tortoise tattoo every Jin royal member possessed.

Of course, all the royal families of the Four Kingdoms had their own sacred beast. The Jin's carried the black tortoise, Sui's the dragon, Wei's the white tiger, and Xie's the vermillion bird.

It was the legend and story of how the Four Kingdoms came to be that made it almost divine to those who knew. This felt as though the heavens descended to rule the lands below them.

"Your Highness, Your Highness!" shouted Lin as she ran to her princess.

Wen Yue who was just stepping out of her chambers for the first time in a while, was met with her personal servant's joyful voice. Her brow raised at her actions but gave a subtle smile, "Yes, Lin?"

The woman gave a wide grin for the princess, "His Highness has defeated the invaders and will be returning."

She knew that Wen Yue was still upset about the matters from that night, but she couldn't help herself to bring such great news to her. Lin truly wanted the best for the pair as she could see how much suffering her princess had gone through by the look of her eyes.

Princess Wen Yue's faint smile lingered hearing her words. Deep down she was happy but what held her back was the feelings of the past. The past where she was let down so many times.

"That's great......" words trailing as she walked and Lin followed behind like a child.

"Your Highness, what will we be doing today? Will we be visiting the garden for ideas to your embroidery? Or will we be asking the luthier to come by to look for strings?" so many questions is what she had whenever her mouth opened.

Wen Yue gave a huffed chuckle, "What would you like to do Lin?"

The servant mumbled to herself, "I don't quite have anything, Your Highness, but would you like to visit the kitchen to try and make desserts?"

The woman of the Night Palace couldn't help but laugh, "Of course."

As they walked further and further away to their destination, maybe all was getting better for her. Unless she truly was trying to forget everything like how a dream would fade the moment you woke up.

If she acted like it never happened, that would mean it didn't hurt her.

Or would it?

Just days later, the grand gates to the palace opened. However, the servant who announced one's return did not say a word. Everyone present, simply looked in shock and almost horror at the sight they saw.

The horrible news that seemed to never reach them, was shown to them today.

Running to Princess Wen Yue's chambers of the Night Palace, he did so without catching a breath although the distance was great. He knew to barge in was rude and down right disrespectful, but he had to tell her.

With the sun beginning to set, he slammed the doors open to the princess and servant's surprise. The two were just sorting out pieces of cloth to sew.

The man was covered in bruises and a few bandages mainly on the arms along with tattered robes stained red.

Wen Yue's expression turned into shock, "Jianyu....."

The prince's right-hand looked to be on the verge of tears. "Your Highness," he fell to the floor and voice hoarse. "His Highness, Prince Fei Yang...........I'M SO SORRY!!!" he screamed.

Her heart dropped hearing him and eyes widened. Lin was not exactly in a state of realizing anything as of yet, but once she did, she looked to her princess with a dreadful expression.

Wen Yue dropped everything and ran out the door leaving the two behind. She didn't care how the people she passed looked at her, how messy she looked, that she had no shoes on or how much it hurt. She had to see him now, even if the two were in turmoil. If she didn't, she would live the rest of her life in regret.

Reaching the quarters of the royal physician, she pushed through the crowds of men who surrounded and ran inside.

Turning the corner, she barged in with a flushed face with glands of sweat and now aching feet.

Those in the room, were the king along with the Crown Prince who stood to the side. Slowly, she walked past them who were shielding him from her.

The moment she got to him, the king and his son left the room giving them space.

What she saw, tore her apart.

She fell to her knees as she then crawled to him in a frantic state. Sobs began to escape her lips as they trembled.

A dreadful cry escaped as her hand held his that didn't move. It was painful to see that indeed he was alive but not awake.

Fei Yang couldn't open his eyes or do anything.

His body had dried blood, bandages to his chest, and head where the trauma seemed to hit him.

He had slipped into a coma state.

Her eyes wandered and came met with a familiar item. The red camellia hairpin with the pearl center.

All along, he had been carrying it with him. The item of returned feelings for a woman.

Those sorrowful tears wouldn't stop flowing as they came in contact with his hand she held oh so dearly.

"Fei Yang.....please, look at me!" the words she spoke of him to never see her again, truly hit her more than it ever could this very moment.

She felt her world getting smaller with each passing second.

Wen Yue's voice became quiet, "......Please look at me......." a cry.
.
.
.