8. getting the map

Lyn and Harry were forced to stay in the hospital wing for the rest of the weekend. Despite both being ok, Madame Pomfrey insisted that they continue to be observed. Remus, Cedric, Ron, and Hermione were frequent guests for Harry and Lyn. As Lyn often dramatically said, they were the only thing keeping her sane. Seeing Harry stare wistfully at his destroyed broom wasn't helping with her sanity, as she knew that nothing could be done. The pair ended up playing a lot of wizards chess to cure their boredom, but still found themselves wanting to escape every five seconds.

When they returned back to the school, Malfoy made fun of both of them. He had never really paid any attention to Lyn, but he suddenly was making fun of her almost as much as he made fun of Harry. During Lyn's first potion lesson (which Snape and Lyn spent almost the whole time glaring at each other), Malfoy made rude remarks the whole time. Ron, the great friend he is, made a crocodile heart hit Malfoy in the face, losing 50 points from Gryffindor, but earning more respect from everybody in the class.

After lunch the trio headed to DADA.

"Lyn, is Professor Lupin teaching?" Ron asked.

"He should be," Lyn responded.

"And why didn't he teach last class?" Hermione questioned, watching Lyn carefully. Lyn just shrugged.

"Probably a cold or something. I didn't really ask," Lyn said as they walked into the class and took their seats. Remus was at the front of the room preparing the lesson.

"Oh. It's just strange that you spent almost the whole day with him and didn't get sick," Hermione told Lyn, sounding skeptical.

"I guess I just have a good immune system," Lyn responded. She made a mental note to try to talk to Hermione in private sometime soon.

"Hello class! I'm very sorry for missing the last class but I had a bad cold. How was the class?" Professor Lupin said. The class immediately started complaining about Snape and the essay.

"Don't worry, you don't have to do the essay," Professor Lupin assured.

"Oh no! I've already done it!" Hermione complained. The rest of the lesson on hinkypunks went by quickly and before long the bell was ringing. Everyone left except for Harry, who Remus asked to stay back, and Lyn, who almost always stayed after anyways.

"Harry, I didn't get the chance to talk to you about the match when I visited Lyn in the hospital wing. I heard about your broom and the dementors. I suppose they're the reason why you fell?" Remus asked.

"Yes. Why do they affect me-and Lyn- like that?" Harry questioned. Lyn looked up from the shelf she was organizing and slowly walked over as the professor collected his thoughts.

"It's not a weakness. It just seems that there are more horrors in your past than those around you," Remus explained, not meeting Lyn's eyes. She couldn't think of any horrors of her past.

"The dementors are some of the foulest creatures on the earth. They suck out people's souls, every happy memory, every good feeling. You're left an empty shell of a person with only your darkest memories. And you've been through a lot, Harry. You have nothing to be ashamed of. You or Lyn," Remus continued.

"When they get near me...I can hear Voldemort murdering my mum," Harry explained. Remus made a move to put his arm on Harry's shoulder, but thought better. Lyn knew enough to know that Remus and James and Lily Potter had been good friends during their time at Hogwarts, so hearing this must be hard for him.

"I can hear someone yelling too," Lyn whispered. Remus could practically feel his heart breaking, looking at the two teens in front of him. Not knowing what to say, a silence fell over the room.