21. werewolves

Peter Pettigrew was a short man with thin, colorless hair. He looked like a large man who had lost a lot of weight quickly. His skin was unclean and saggy and his nose and eyes looked like those of a rat. His dark, creepy eyes kept glancing between all the people and the door, his hands nervously clasped in front of his chest.

"Why, hello Peter. Long time, no see," Remus said pleasantly as if this was a common occurrence. Rose noticed the look that her dad and godfather shared before Remus angled his body to be more in front of the trio and Sirius moved to be more in front of his daughter, but both still being close enough to the door to stop him if he tried to escape.

"S...Sirius...R...Remus. My friends....my old friends," Peter said squeakily, still looking at the door. Sirius raised his wand but Remus sent him a look before turning back to Peter. Sirius hesitantly lowered his wand but clutched it even tighter, his jaw clenched and his eyes angry.

"We've been having a little chat about what happened the night Lily and James died. You might have missed some points as you were squeaking on the bed," Remus said, his voice light and casual. Rose knew what he was doing as he had done it before to her. He seemed to be trying to get Peter to confess to what happened without saying it himself.

"Remus, you don't believe him, do you? He tried to kill me Remus..." Peter gasped. Beads of sweat started to break out over his face, his body trembling some.

"So I've heard. I'd like to clear up some matters so ---" Remus stated coldly just to be interrupted by the rat-faced man.

"He's going to try and kill me again! He killed Lily and James and now he's going to kill me too! Remus, please, you've got to help me!" Peter pleaded, pointing to Sirius with his middle finger because his index was missing. Sirius just started at the man with his fathomless eyes.

"No one's going to kill you until we've sorted some things out, not to worry," Remus said.

"Sorted things out? I knew he'd come after me! I knew it! I've been waiting for twelve years!" Peter proclaimed.

"You knew Sirius was going to break out of Azkaban when no one has done it before? How strange..." Remus said, furrowing his brow.

"He's got dark powers we can only dream of! How did he get out of there? I suppose He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named taught him some tricks!" Peter suggested. Sirius let out a horrible, mirthless laugh that caused even Rose to cower back.

"Voldemort, teach me tricks?" Sirius said, a fire burning in his eyes. Peter flinched back. "What, scared to hear your old masters name? I don't blame you. His lot aren't very happy with you, are they?"

"Don't know what you mean, Sirius-" Peter muttered, breathing so fast he looked as if he was about to pass out. His whole face was shining with sweat.

"You haven't been hiding from me for twelve years! You've been hiding from Voldemort's supporters. I've heard things in Azkaban, Peter. They all think you're dead, or you'd have to answer to them. They scream all sorts of things in their sleep. They know that you somehow double crossed them and caused the fall of Voldemort. If those supporters ever got wind that you're still alive, Peter..." Sirius trailed off, knowing that the rest didn't even need to be said.

"Don't know...what you're talking about..." Peter mumbled. He looked up at Remus, blinking rapidly from nervousness. "You don't believe this...this madness, Remus!"

"I must admit, Peter, I have difficulty in understanding why any innocent man would want to spend twelve years as a rat," Remus said evenly.

"Innocent, but scared! If Voldemort's supporters were after me, it was because I put one of their best men in Azkaban -- the spy, Sirius Black!" Peter squealed. Sirius' face contorted.