fireworks

Rose didn't think her year could get any worse, and then it did. Umbridge was declared to be the new Headmistress. No one really knew what happened, but they knew that Harry, Rose and Marietta had been the ones to see it and since Marietta was in the hospital wing, they all asked Harry and Rose.

"Dumbledore won't be gone that long," Ernie Macmillan told them after Herbology. "They couldn't keep him away in our second year, they can't keep him away now. The Fat Friar told me that Umbridge can't get into Dumbledore's office. She had a fit when the door wouldn't open."

"Oh, I expect she really fancied herself up there," Hermione said angrily. "Lording it over all the teachers, the stupid, puffed up, power hungry-"

"Do you really want to finish that sentence?" Draco interrupted as he stepped in front of the group, causing them to stop walking. Draco purposefully didn't look at Rose as she glared at him.

"Afraid I'm gonna have to dock some points from Gryffindor and Hufflepuff," Draco drawled.

"You can't take points from fellow prefects, Malfoy," Ernie reminded him.

"Oh, I know. But members of the Inquisitorial Squad-"

"What?" Hermione interrupted.

"The Inquisitorial Squad, Granger," Draco said, pointing to a silver I badge on his chest. "A select group of students who are supportive of the Ministry of Magic and are hand selected by Umbridge. Members can dock points. Let's see...five for you Granger, for insulting the headmistress...Macmillan, five for contradicting me...five because I don't like you, Potter...Weasley, your shirt's untucked, so another five for that...oh, and ten for you Granger for being a mudblood."

Ron had his wand out and pointed it at Malfoy before anyone could move.

"Don't!" Hermione pleaded to Ron.

"What about me, dear cousin? Too scared I'll hex you to dock points from me?" Rose asked angrily.

"Hmmm...five points for dating Potter," Draco said before walking off with Crabbe and Goyle, laughing the whole time. Harry quickly grabbed Rose by the waist to keep her from running after him. Rose quickly pushed his arms off as she glared at the retreating figure of her cousin.

"He can't be serious," Ernie said. "He can't dock points...that would completely undermine the prefect system..."

As soon as they entered the Great Hall it was clear that he could. Gryffindor had lost major points. The only house who hadn't lost points was Slytherin.

"Noticed, have you?" Fred asked as he and George came to stand next to them.

"Malfoy just docked us about fifty points," Harry said angrily.

"Yeah, Montague tried to get us during break," George said.

"Tried?" Ron asked quickly.

"He never managed to get the words out. We shoved him headfirst into that vanishing cabinet on the first floor," Fred told them. Rose let out a small laugh at the thought of Montague being shoved into a cabinet.

"But you'll get in trouble!" Hermione gasped.

"Not until Montague returns and that could take weeks," Fred said. "Besides, we've decided we don't care about getting in trouble anymore."

"Have you ever?" Rose asked with a small snort.

"We've never been expelled, have we?" Fred asked her with a grin.

"We've never crossed the line, maybe putting a toe across it every once in a while, but never crossed it," George said.

"But now?" Ron asked tentatively.