Chapter 39 - Farewell

That night, Craig drove Randy and Aiden back home. When it was time to part, Craig turned to Aiden and said, “Son, you should go in and start packing. In three days, I’ll lead the Royal Guard to come pick you up. You can accompany Xi Wei to go register at Ellen Academy.”

Aiden said, “Okay, thank you.”

With a gentle gaze, Craig reached out and rubbed the boy’s head. “You don’t need to be so polite with me.”

Aiden felt a little embarrassed. Although he still wasn’t able to call out the word “father,” when this tall man clumsily caressed his hair, Aiden felt a warm feeling bubble up in his heart.

Craig turned his head and asked Randy, “Do you want to come to the Andromeda Galaxy to send off our son? If you want to go, I’ll take you with me.”

Randy hurriedly said, “No need, with the Royal Guard there, I can feel at ease.”

In fact, he simply didn’t dare to go to the Andromeda Galaxy. That year, he had gotten his boss to forge an Ellen Academy student death certificate, and then he had fled to the capital planet with a new identity. If he returned to his alma mater and came across one of his old teachers, it would be bad if he were recognized. Though so many years had passed, and his appearance had changed, it was better to be safe than sorry. Randy didn’t dare to take the risk.

Craig saw he didn’t want to go, so he didn’t force him. Craig set a time to come pick up Aiden and then returned to the palace.

When Aiden went into his bedroom, he opened the package that Carlo had mailed him. Inside was a white box wrapped up in a gaudy red bow. Aiden frowned and undid the bow, then threw the ugly ribbon away. When he opened the box and took a look, lying inside was a silver and white smartwatch. It was a shame, but compared to the watch his father gave him that was an all-in-one timepiece, communicator and mecha, this one wasn’t of much use. It’s not as if he could wear two watches.

Aiden thought it over thoroughly, and put the watch away in his drawer.

——————————

On the night of the twenty-seventh, the atmosphere in the palace was a little melancholy. Queen Anna held Xi Wei’s hand and didn't make a sound. The fourth prince Caesar and the two princesses crowded around him, reluctant for him to leave.

“Big brother, do you have to go? Can’t you stay?” Caesar’s little face frowned so hard it looked like a dumpling. “Why does there have to be a rule saying you can’t come home for four years? After four years, I’ll have gotten big. What if big brother doesn’t know me anymore?”

Xi Wei smiled and pinched his little brother’s dumpling face. “Don’t worry, even after four years, big brother will be able to recognize you at the first glance. When the time comes, I’m sure our Caesar will be a handsome little guy.”

Caesar pulled at Xi Wei’s sleeve and refused to let go. “Big brother, we don’t want you to go.”

The third princess Celine clung to Xi Wei’s leg and started wailing. The second princess Sia was more restrained. She looked at the brother in front of her who had comforted and cared for her since she was small, and said softly, “Big brother, when you get to school, you have to take good care of yourself. After two years, I’ll go there too and keep you company.”

Xi Wei nodded and stroked his little sister’s soft hair. “You too. Since you were little you haven’t been in good health. While I’m not there, if anyone dares to bully you at St. Paul Academy, just go find Kevin’s older brother Klaire.”