Chapter 76 - Where Did Klaire Go?!

He’d known Klaire in two worlds, and every time he contacted him, he’d reply within seconds. This was the first time that he couldn’t get through even after a long time. Maybe he was busy right now? Xi Wei cut off Egret’s call for the time being, and sent Klaire a message: “Give me a call when you’re free, I need to talk to you about something.”

However, this message, like a stone thrown into the sea, received no response as well.

Klaire had been appointed to planet Rennes as the commander of the Glory Corp’s support troops, so it was expected for him to have a heavy task load. If the Glory Corps happened to be exchanging fire with the Federation at the front lines, when Marshal Rosen needed assistance, Klaire would have to be in position at all times. So if he didn’t get a message for a while, or he couldn’t get a signal, that was normal.

Everything could be explained, but the uneasiness in Xi Wei’s heart grew stronger and stronger. That unpleasant premonition was like a black cloud above his head, pressuring him until he couldn’t breathe. He almost didn’t close his eyes the whole of that night. He waited restlessly for Klaire’s reply, but at dawn, Egret’s communicator still hadn’t lit up.

Xi Wei finally couldn’t sit still anymore, and ran to see his father at once.

When he rushed to the hall of the palace where his father dealt with government affairs, he happened to run into a general who was coming out from inside. It was Klaire’s father, General Byron. This man was famous in the military for being silent and taciturn, and his face was usually expressionless. Today, however, his face seemed to carry a strange sadness and heaviness.

He looked at Xi Wei, and seemed to want to say something, but stopped and restrained himself, turned and left.

Xi Wei stared blankly after him, until His Majesty Trand’s voice came from inside. “Xi Wei, that’s you outside, right? Come in and talk.”

Xi Wei came back to himself and immediately turned, walking into the hall. He asked anxiously, “Father, did something happen to Klaire? How come I can’t reach him on the communicator?”

His Majesty Trand was silent for a moment, then came down from his throne. He said in a low voice, “The marshal’s sent Major General Klaire out on a secret mission. He might not be able to respond to you for a while, his communication’s been cut off. Don’t worry, nothing’s happened to him.”

“...Really?” Xi Wei said, a little unconvinced.

His Majesty Trand smiled and said, “I won’t lie to you. Many military missions have strict requirements of secrecy. Even I don’t know exactly what kind of mission Klaire is carrying out. It was the marshal who told me this news.”

When he heard this, Xi Wei finally felt a little at ease. But when he thought of the grave expression he’d seen on General Byron’s face just then, Xi Wei couldn’t help but say worriedly, “Just now, General Bryon’s expression wasn’t very good. Is Klaire’s mission dangerous?”

Trand was silent for a moment, then said, “Xi Wei, you care this much about him because you love him, right?”

Xi Wei turned his head away a little awkwardly, then said quietly, “Father, tell me the truth.”

Trand said, “It’s just like I told you, he’s gone to carry out a difficult mission. If he’s successful this time, he’ll have enough military merit to be promoted directly to lieutenant general.”

“What if he fails?” Xi Wei looked up and said.

Trand didn’t answer the question, and gently patted Xi Wei’s shoulder instead. “Have faith in him.”