Lane

Dan's breathing had gotten raspy by the time they reached an apartment that rose up about five stories, he carried her in the elevator and went up one floor and opened a door and set her down on a leather couch. He locked the door and went to get a glass of water in the kitchen watching her.
"Would you want a glass of water?" He asked setting the glass down.
"No." Her throat was as dry as the desert. Still she refused.
"Okay then," He sat on the arm of a chair close to Lane's couch.
"Why were you there?" She mumbled.
"What?" He leaned forward.
"Why were you there." She almost yelled.
Dan raked his fingers through his hair making some strands stand up.
"Your mom called me."
"Why?"
"She thought I would know where you are, turns out being on facebook helps."
"She thinks I love you." Lane swallowed the bile in her throat.
"Oh," He croaked and put his head in his hands. Lane suddenly realized how handsome he was. He had curly long brown hair and slight stubble around his chin and lips, he had green eyes and a pointed chin. She had always thought of him as something that her mother could distract herself with.
"I loved your mother you know that?" He peeked at her through his hands.
"I know." She crossed her arms over her chest and suddenly realized how bad she must look right now, her makeup smeared across her face, her hair wild and tangled and her eyes probably had a crazy look to them. Her ripped dress tattered against her body, showing some skin. She probably looked like a wild animal.
"Why did you punch Adam?" He stiffened, as if the question pained him to answer.
"I-" He seemed like he couldn't finish the sentence. Lane sat up and sat on the arm chair Dan was sitting in. Goose bumps rose on her arms because she was so close to him.
"Thanks." She touched his shoulder. A jolt of electricity went through. He looked up at her, his lips parted. He looked at her as if she was the most beautiful thing in the world. She removed her hand from his shoulder. He cleared his throat and stared straight ahead.
"Well this is my place. You're welcome to stay here until your mom cools down." He leaned toward her. She so badly wanted to say yes it hurt. Why was she suddenly so interested in Dan's life? Why Dan at all?
"Okay." She sighed trying not to sound giddy. He let his breath out, had he been holding it?
"You want the bed or the couch?" He asked clasping his hands in front of him.
"I don't care." She said trying not to picture her and Dan in bed, together.
"Well, you're a guest. I guess you can have the bed. I'll be out here on the couch if you need anything."
"Actually, do you have anything I could wear? This dress is kinda ruined." She gestured to her dress that was just a bunch of scraps of cloth.
"Oh yeah sure." He pushed himself up and walked into the bedroom and Lane followed. He opened a drawer and pulled out a long t-shirt that would fall to Lane's knees.
"Sorry I don't have much, but this has been worn so many times by me it should be soft." He handed the t-shirt to Lane. His fingers brushed against hers and she again felt a jolt of electricity.
"Thanks." She cradled the shirt in her arms. Something worn by Dan! She couldn't wait to put it on.
"See you in the morning." He said awkwardly. He left shuffling his feet and looking back at her only once before he closed the door.