Mat

Mat laid around all night last night, not even bothering to call Lane again to ask her to meet him. Janelle was all he thought about. Her laugh, her love for him, it was all a lie. His parents came home around eight thirty in the morning and didn't even notice their son was moping around, without a purpose in life. Mat didn't know if Janelle had ever shown any kinds of signs of cheating. She was always with him unless she was at soccer practice. Unless there was a change of plans, Greg's plans anyways. And that one year when she went down to Mexico, she probably just stayed here and screwed Greg the whole summer. Mat felt like puking. His mom came in as he started to reach the toilet.
"Mat?"
"What?" His hand muffled his voice.
"What are you doing?"
"I don't feel so good."
"Oh," She twirled her bracelets on her arm. "would you like some medicine?"
"I don't need medicine."
"Then what is it?"
"It's-" He might as well tell her. "Janelle, she was cheating on me." His mom got pale and she messed furiously with the hem on her shirt.
"I'm sorry Mat." Guilt was written plainly all over her face.
"Mom, you didn't know anything about this did you?" He stared her down.
"I was only trying to protect you," She whispered.
"How did you know!?" Mat was suddenly furious, he would have known Janelle was cheating on him, he never would have felt this way, never would have fell for her, never would've had to give up Lane.
"I saw her with another boy. They were kissing."
"What did he look like?"
"He had these glasses and short hair, he was pretty cute, I heard her say Rob a couple times." His mom huffed. Rob. Rob Haets!? Could it be? It had to be.
"I can't believe you never told me. I had a right to know!" He felt his voice getting louder by every word he said.
"I know you did, you were just so happy, I didn't want to ruin it for you." She looked at her high heeled shoes."Too late for that." Mat spat back. He walked away leaving his mom standing there staring after him. He walked up the stairs to his bedroom and looked at his bedroom. All the signs said Janelle all over them, he ripped off the bed sheets and threw them in the washer until they didn't smell like Janelle anymore. He took down all the pictures of them and tore them up and put them in a pile to be thrown away. Then he grabbed the clothes she had left there from the nights of laughing and kissing in their sleep and stuffed them in a bag. Then Mat washed all of his clothes that Janelle had ever seen him in or touched him in. Then he looked over at the the playlist he had made for Janelle on her phone and deleted it, which she had left her phone here of course. Seventeen unread messages, from Greg, some from Mat himself, and others from completely random guys Mat didn't even know. He responded back to all of them that saying she was a cheater and this was her ex boyfriend, all the answers he got back were thanks, except one. Adam Ursol had texted her phone saying, 'a girl who does sex for fun? Sign me up.' Mat opened the window and chucked Janelle's phone out and it landed on the driveway, the screen cracked on a message from Mat that said I loved you.