Lane

After the doctor had called her mom to tell her she was Lane felt a queasy feeling rising in her stomach. What if she never got to see Dan again? Would that be good or bad? She loved him, but was he worth all this trouble. Plus he was going to jail possibly. Lane felt guiltier every second she thought more about it. Soon Dr. Vanders returned to the room with her mother by his side. Lane felt tears rise in her eyes as she saw her mother exhausted and pale as if she hadn't slept in days. Lane tried to rise from the bed, but she collapsed. Her mother raced forward and hugged her and held her away from her to look at her. Her eyes screamed sadness, disapproval, and jealousy.
"Mom, why are you looking at me like that?" Lane felt herself shrink back into the bed covers.
"Why didn't you just tell me the truth, that you loved him."
"I didn't at first!" She said defensively. Her mother nods with uncertainty and lets go of Lane's shoulders. She stiffly says something to Dr. Vanders and he leaves the room leaving her and Lane alone. Her mother turns to her and smiles.
"I've done a lot of thinking lately, Lane." She puts her arms to her hair and slowly pulls on it. She always does this when she's nervous.
"Your father and I have decided to let you finish school this year here and then send you to your father's house where you'll live."
"No!" Lane jumps to her feet and then slowly slinks down to the bed. "You can't do that to me! What about my friends, Anna! What will she think?!" Lane starts to sob and her mother greedily sucks it up.
"You leave after your art program, thats the end of school right?" She smiles. "Lane, I only want whats best for you." She puts a hand on her shoulder. Lane shrugs it off.
"No, your just jealous of me, because Dan loved me better!" Lane calls for the nurses and they take her mom out of the room.