Mat

Mat went to see Lane the second he heard about her status. Raped? By an older guy? That's what she's been doing. He walked with a purpose through the halls of the hospital and then shoved the door open to the room number they had said she was in. There was no one in the room, just Lane asleep on on the bed. He froze, she looked so beautiful it hurt, her blonde hair was in a moppy mess on her head, that had strands of her blonde hair falling down her face. Her eyelashes casted fine shadows across her face and Mat could feel himself smiling just being able to stare at her all day. She stuttered in her sleep and her eyelids flickered and then she woke up. She saw Mat right away and gave him a keen look.
"Mat?" She said sitting up a little straighter. He blushed and started to walk over to the chair across from her side on her bed.
"Hey Lane." He silently wished she looked as happy to see him as he was to see her.
"What are you doing here?" She asked with a confused look.
"I was in the hospital and decided to come see you,"
"Why were you in the hospital?"
"Janelle tried to commit suicide." He said stiffly. Lane's green eyes widened and she grabbed his hand.
"Is she ok?" Lane asked genuinely concerned. In that moment Mat realized something, when Lane grabbed for his hand he didn't get nervous or a fluttery feeling in his stomach the way you would with your crush, he didn't feel anything. He felt like he was hanging out with Andrew.
"She's fine." He let go of her hand and she had a surprised look on her face like everyone would want to hold her hand.
"Ok," She sounded awkward like she didn't know what to say.
"Lane look, I've done a lot of thinking and I used to think I liked you a lot." She gives Mat a shocked look and remains silent.
"I used to think there could be a future between us, but I realize now I was wrong. I'm still in love with Janelle." He says surprising even himself. He gets up and walks out of the room leaving Lane with her head bowed as if he's a god.