Mat

All weekend Mat laid around his house either on the couch or in his bed. His mom thought he was depressed. Actually he was relieved. He didn't have to worry about who he flirted with, or who he talked too. What he said, or what he did. Single was better. The only downside was that girls would attack him. To get him to like them. Today was Monday, as soon as he stepped out of his car about a dozen eyes looked his way. He walked up to the school and sat in home room until the bell rang and Andrew sat down next to him.
"Hey man." He set his bag on the floor.
"Hey." Mat opened his book and started to read.
"What's wrong?"
Mat looked at him with narrowed eyes. "You really think I'm gonna answer that?"
Andrew shrugged. Mat laughed without humor and turned back to his book. At that moment Janelle walked into the room, she was wearing missed matched clothes and her makeup was smeared and her hair was put messily into a ponytail. God she looked beautiful, Mat thought.
"You gonna go sit by Janelle?" Andrew gestured to Janelle as she sat as far away from Mat as she could.
"No." Mat snapped. Andrew threw up his hands in surrender.
"Okay! Damn." Andrew didn't bother Mat at all after that. When the bell rang Mat got up and walked to the door.
"Mat wait!" Janelle called out to him. Mat turned around slightly. She ran to catch up to him and opened her arms to pull him in for a hug. He stopped her before she could get her arms around him. Her face got red and she removed her hands. He shoved the bag with her clothes in it into her arms.
"You left these at my house. Oh your phone is on the driveway, seventeen messages unread, Adam wants you to hook up with him, by the way." Mat sneered.
"Mat," The discomfort on her face was plain.
"Janelle." He bowed slightly and walked out pulling his hoodie around his face.