Mat

Mat drove into Janelle's driveway with Tara in shotgun.
"Wait here." He opened the door and stepped out. She nodded and he walked up to Janelle's door, banging on it twice. Her mom answered it in a heartbeat.
"Mat!" She said sweeping him in for a hug. "Where have you been? Janelle seems lost for some reason, are you two having troubles?" Her hazel eyes searched his.
"Mrs. Stanesl we broke up a couple weeks ago." Mat said clenching his fists. She made a face of pure surprise.
"Why didn't she tell me?!" She said pushing the door closed. Mat stuck his hand out to check it before it clicked.
"Mrs. Stanesl, if you don't mind I would like to talk to her?" Her mom looked uncertain, but Mat looked at her the way he always did, the sweet loving boyfriend of her daughter.
"Oh, alright." She opened the door and let Mat in. He flew up the stairs and went down the hall and took a left on the third door. He knocked twice.
"Janelle?" No answer. "Janelle? Come on open up I need to talk to you now." He tried to keep the rage out of his voice. He opened the door and charged in. Janelle sat in her chair by her bed and was crying into her knees. Mat's heart immediately softened.
"Janelle?" He said creeping his way to her side, he now saw she held in her hand a kitchen knife. His heart raced with uncertainty.
"You know Mat," She sniffed. "I've made a lot of mistakes in my life."
"Everyone does." Mat whispered.
She snorts, "Not like I have." she looks over at him with the look that says I'm done, I can't take it. "The whole school won't talk to me, you won't talk to me. I lost my scholarship to Nebraska State and now I'm getting kicked off the soccer team. It's time to say goodbye to everything." She takes the knife and stabs it into her side. Mat springs into action and grabs the knife from her hand before it goes all the way, meanwhile she's screaming at him to let her go. Mat refuses to cry, but he can feel the tears coming. He also feels a bolt of electricity from holding Janelle in his arms again. She eventually crumples to his side and sobs into his shoulder while Mat shouts for her mom to call 911.