Chapter 17:Joey

"So, you're the doctor's son, correct?" I asked Joey. Joey nodded. "Yes, he may be a strict man but he has taught me everything I have ever needed in life," Joey said looking at the ground.

"Is he nice to you Joey?" I asked him. I hope this poor boy isn't abused like I was. "Of course. But as I said earlier, he is quite strict. The only time he is truly mean is when I mess up in front of the boss." Joey explained.

"You call him 'the boss'? " I asked Joey. "Yes, most of us do. Or we call him sir. None of us dare call him by his real name. The last person who said his real name got their head cut off right in front of all of us. I would really rather not have that happen to me." Joey said allowing a small smile come onto his face.

"Do you mean you guys aren't allowed to call him Xander?" I asked Joey. Joey looked at me, his smile was no gone and his face turned red. "Don't speak his name. I don't want him to come in here and hurt me." Joey said. His words were full of anger.

I must've hit a nerve. "Joey, who was the person who spoke his name? The one who got their head cut off." I asked him. My guess is that whoever it was, meant something to Joey. Someone important. "My brother. He was only 14. He didn't understand. I was stupid enough to not warn him. I let my little brother die by the hands of that monster." Joey said.

I took his hand into mine. "He is a monster. He is fucking crazy. Don't let him get to you. It was not your fault that your brother died. Please don't blame yourself. Your brother wouldn't want that." I said looking into Joey's eyes.

"Who are you to him? I've heard of you, you've caused him some great pain. I mean, it's not like he doesn't deserve it, but why aren't you dead yet? He's killed much more people for so much less then what you've done to him." Joey asked me.

"According to him, I'm his queen," I said in a low voice. "Technically I was supposed to come here and pay off my father's debts. But I guess Xander has somehow taken a liking to me and won't let me go."

"You're very lucky then," Joey said. "Are you sure? With him leaving me alive means that I have to continue to take more of his shit. I don't get to be free and die or anything like that." I said.

"Don't take your life for granted Megan. A lot of people would take your life in an instant to just be alive. Like my brother..."

"Sorry, I guess you're right. I guess it just gets really hard sometimes. It's only been a few weeks, and it's felt like it's been a year. He's shot me multiple times. Tortured me. Almost raped me. I just don't know if I'm going to last much longer." I said.

"Look, I don't know you that well Megan, but please don't give up on life. It's so very precious. I know that he is probably putting you through hell. But my guess is that once he notices that you aren't some toy to be fucked with. He'll start treating you like the queen he wants you to be and the queen you already are." He said giving me a small smile.

"Thank you, Joey. You're very sweet. By the way, what are you even doing here? You seem too young to be working for a drug lord." I asked him.

"Technically I work for my father, and he works for Mr.Drug Lord. But Xander gives a lot of money and takes care of us. We make a hell of a lot more money working for him than a hospital would ever give." Joey explained. " As I said earlier, it does have some downsides," Joey said referring to his brother.

"Why didn't you and your father leave after Xander killed your little brother?" I asked him.

"You can't leave Megan. Ever. It doesn't work like that. I wanted to, but my father threatened to kill me if I left." Joey said. My mouth instantly dropped. "Are you serious? Why would he do that?" I asked Joey.