Chapter 37: Separated

Megan's POV

Time is fragile, that's what my mother used to tell me. I can't believe until now, that she was actually right.

I just wanna go back in time, and change his mind. We both made a mistake that day.

He wanted to leave me. At first, I thought it was because he didn't want me anymore. That I wasn't as beautiful as the other women that were in his life.

But I later found out, that he was doing it for my better well-being. He cared about me, and it was clear.

Joey, of course was happy about it. And I can't believe I'm even admitting this, but I was disappointed. I know he was a horrible person. Anybody can see that. But after a few months, of the torturous hell that he put me through, we eventually got along.

I guess I grew attached to him for one reason, he was the only person I had left on earth, that seemed like they cared about me. Joey, was another one. But he wasn't leaving me.

Joey promised to visit me all the time. And of course, he kept up his promise. For what at the time everything seem good, will come crashing down. Nothing good can ever stay. I've learned that.

It's been a good three months since I've last seen Xander. From what I seen on the news, he's done much more with his empire. He seems much more reserved now. They don't see as much as him as they used to.

Even if they don't see him, he's all over the news. In the past week, over five people of died. Mostly because of overdoses. But Xander always told me, that it was never his fault. Then it was their own fault for even taking the drug.

I never chose to disagree, or agree. It was better to just stay quiet. Xander had his reasons for doing what he did. And I excepted that.

Joey visits me every few days, and on occasion he visits me every day. It only depends on how much work he has. About a month ago, his father retired. And Joey took over. Joey told me that Xander said that he had enough experience to do what his father did.

Even though Joey got a huge promotion, I still felt like he was in huge danger. And I didn't like that. Joey was a huge part of my life. He was the only person I have left. Even though he was my family, I still considered him one. He was my best friend. I guess, my only friend.

"So, how is work going? Did anything interesting happen? From what you told me last time, a few men got shot. What happened to them?" I asked Joey. Tonight, he came over for dinner. We don't usually do dinner, we usually do brunch. Which is the only time he usually gets off.

Joey's busiest time, is during the night. Which is where most of Xander's men end up getting hurt.

" The two survived, but one of them did it. He had a shot in his right kidney, and it was just hurting him too badly. But everything's going fine. It's all been going much slower than normal. Which I really shouldn't jinx anything." Joey said.

"How is Xander?"

I don't ask about Xander a lot. Joey isn't a fan of talking about him. Mostly because he knows Xander and I have a history. It may not be a good history, but we have one. Before I left, Xander and I talked. It was a good talk. We discussed everything that happened. He told me why it was best for me to leave.

3 Months Ago

"You can't be fucking serious, why are you doing this? I'm perfectly fine right here! Why ruin anything?! We're getting along just fine!" I yelled. I was pacing back-and-forth and Xander's office.

"Megan, you have to understand. It's for the best. I've hurt you so many times over these past few months, that I can't use bare anymore. I know you enjoyed here, but who knows, I may one day come home and flip off. I may hurt you, I may even kill you. And I would hate to do that to you. I've grown quite fond of you, to even think about that. I want you to be happy, I'll give you money. I'll buy you a place, I'll do whatever you want. Just please, don't hate me for doing this."

I side. He was right. Who knows what would happen if he got angry one day? Maybe he would write me again. I know he truly didn't mean to, but it destroyed me a lot. And the after effect hurt me even more.

" I understand. What's going to happen to me?" I asked him.

"I'll buy an apartment for you, I'll do whatever you want. Shit, I'll buy you a whole fucking mansion. Whatever keeps you safe. About it a few days ago, I got a threatening email. They know who you are, and there after you. I don't wanna get you killed. You mean too much to me. Over the past few months, I've grown extremely attached to. And I would lose my mind if I let you die."

" I wish you didn't have to be this way, but I have to protect you. I am so sorry. I know it seems like it'll be easier to protect to hear, but it won't be. I'll probably put you not too far away, but enough so I can keep an eye on you."

I know I did. This was the end. I could see it.

"I'll put out any recommendations for you. For jobs. For school. Whatever you need. I'll send you money whenever you need it."

"Thank you Xander, it really means a lot. I'm not mad at you. I know you're just doing this for the best of me." I said as I hugged him.

Xander hugged me back. That day was the last I saw of him. After that, he sent me packing. He got me a large penthouse apartment, about 45 minutes away from the house. I can tell that he keeps surveillance on me, mostly because I see people following me. At first it scared me, but I talked to Joey about it and he said that it was just Xander's men.

PRESENT TIME

"How's he doing? I only see him on the news? I know you don't like to talk about him, I just want to see how he's doing." I asked Joey. I know he didn't like to talk about Xander, and I respected that. But sometimes I just need to check up on my old friend.

Joey sighed, " he's doing fine. He actually has a girlfriend. I guess she can color his girlfriend. She's always on his lap, and they're always next to each other. Her name is Abby. She's actually pretty nice, but she does have a side of her that nobody wants to see. One of the maids got in front of her a few days ago, and spilled water on her, Abby ended up breaking her neck."

" oh my God Joey, be careful! She sounds crazy."

" don't worry, Xander talk to her after that. It was one of the new maids, so didn't really matter as much." he told me.

" so, getting off the topic. When are you going clubbing with your friends?" Joey asked me. About a week ago, one of my friends Staci asked me if I wanted to go clubbing with her.

Of course I said yes, I need to get out of my house anyways. I was feeling really stuffy.

" tomorrow actually, I mean up with her at the club at 9 PM. I really wish you could come. But I know you have work."

" I wish I could come too. I will really miss you."

" i'll miss you too."